1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thanks again, AP

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Jul 25, 2011.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

As usual when a late event happens, newsroom.ap absolutely spitting the bit as everyone tries to get UMBC-Virginia pics.

Spinning beachball of death ...

2. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Fwiw, I did a few Florida football and basketball tournaments for AP back in the day...

3. I Should Coco

A quirk I noticed in AP football box scores:

Last night, Washington scores a touchdown. The PAT is blocked, and Washington State runs the ball back for two points. Yet those two points weren't mentioned in the box score.

Here's how AP reported it:
    WAS — H Bryant 22 pass from Fuller (kick failed). 20-7

the next scoring play was :
    WST — J Williams 1 run (pass failed). 20-15

How WSU scored the two points remained a mystery.

There should be a line that says something like, WST — Jones 2-point conversion return. 20-9.

Anyone have a reason behind this?

4. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

100 minutes of game time in the MLS Cup, and about 30 minutes since the end of game (as of 11:08), and all we have on the AP wire is 4 photos from 2 photographers, including 3 of Josef Martinez? Really?

By this point of the SEC championship at the very same stadium, there were upwards of 100 photos on the wire.

If this was a Falcons game, they'd already have a full page of cheerleader T&A pics.

5. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

All together now: "I blame soccer."

Tarheel316, HanSenSE and ChrisLong like this.
  6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

What did you expect when all the photographers came from North and South Carolina just to shoot the game?

spikechiquet and Batman like this.
  7. HanSenSE

Today's spring training glance shows the Mariners playing a split-squad game vs. San Francisco in Tokyo Monday morning our time. This might come as a shock to the soon-to-be-retired Bruce Bochy, having to fly a team across the Pacific for a split-squad game. Maybe, just maybe, it's the Yomiuri Giants, as listed on an earlier date in the same glance?

Oh, and, just a reminder. It the Nippon Ham Fighters, not the Nippon Ham Fighters.

Thus endeth this discussion of Japanese baseball until MLB again exports Opening Day.

spikechiquet likes this.
  8. HanSenSE

Just to keep a SF_Express thread alive ...

Only been reading sports pages religiously for the last 50+ years, so familiar with agate footnotes this time of any season: x-clinched playoff spot, y-clinched division, etc. But did we really need the addition of an e-? Eliminated I assume.

9. I Should Coco

Always hated when you were really tight for space and the explanations of those letters added a few lines to the standings.

10. HanSenSE

A few lines I don't mind, but the e- is unnecessary. Unless some dunderhead editor wandered past the agate desk one night and asked "Are the Jaguars still eligible for the playoffs? It doesn't say so in the standings."

I still inwardly scream when I recall the night I was building the agate page and, under an editor who liked to have golf par scores in, Mark Calcaveccia won a then-Senior Tour event in a playoff. So you had the x-, a name I had to apostrophe the heck out of, his winning, his three-round score and its relation to par. One of the news editors that night (who had been a sports guy), heard me and asked what was up, and I said "Calcaveccia in a playoff." He understood.

11. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

It's the reason I clicked on this thread. Thanks.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  12. Kolchak

Kolchak Active Member

How long has AP agate been this bad? I assume they've had to make a lot of personnel cuts too. NBA boxes have been coming over with the wrong score, then later they resend with the right score. Doesn't happen a lot, but it happens with consistency. There are also plenty of misspellings in the transactions, and every now and then a team is listed in the wrong league or sport. During bowl season, a bunch of college football odds just stopped being included for a while.

Draft saved Draft deleted