1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP President George H.W. Bush

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by UPChip, Dec 1, 2018.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

They are divorced.

I just looked. I can't believe Tipper Gore is 70 years old. So is Al Gore. Then again, I just turned 50. I was 25 when he was elected Vice President. 50 would have seemed so damned old to me then.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I wonder if you'll say this at 75. Do you know 75 year olds? I do, and they don't seem old to me.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I had no idea they were divorced. And yeah, how time flies.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Closed captioning fail ...

Attached Files:

HC likes this.
  5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Announced in 2010 they would be divorcing but never did. Although they're not together, either, and are seeing other people.

6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

How exhausting for this Bush family over the last few days, between being in Texas to going to DC and now back to Texas. When my brother in law died -- 35 years old, two young kids -- we had services in Maryland and then on Cape Cod, where he was buried. It was a grueling few days, especially for my sister and his immediate family. Multiply that by something indeterminate factor in gauging the emotional and mental toll on the Bushes.

7. The Big Ragu

Thanks. I didn't realize it was a gray divorce. Sorry.

I don't know their life, but I assumed that they did the marriage charade when it benefited his presidential ambitions. When that dream ended, there wasn't a reason for them anymore. But who knows?

8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I heard that Al wanted Tipper to talk dirty, but she wouldn’t do it without a warning label.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

All I can say is that I saw them in a torrid embrace in a Harvard Stadium stairwell at the Harvard-Penn game of 2003. So whatever happened to their marriage may have been after November of that year.

10. The Big Ragu

Yup. I heard the two of them were the inspiration for Love Story. :rolleyes:

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

You sure they weren't reenacting their embrace in Times Square?

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

It's not just because George W. Bush (and his siblings) lost both parents in a year. It is that, clearly, and kind of significantly these days, George H.W. and Barbara Bush must have done something right, family-wise, what with their lastingly loving 73 (73!) -year marriage, and the fact that their very mature-aged kids actually liked and loved them enough to do a eulogy as George W. did, and unashamedly, publicly show such a personal, emotional side of themselves to so many as he did in that act.

It is bound to generate sympathy, and is a natural result and reaction to those inarguable and admirable points -- whatever else may also be brought up in the discussion.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted