1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor - Cape Girardeau, MO

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Regional sports editor

Description:

Regional Sports Editor for Southeast Missouri

Rust Communications and semoball.com are seeking a leader to create a multi-platform sports operation in Southeast Missouri, guiding and directing sports writers and editors at five newspapers. This regional editor is not based in a specific town though he or she must live in Southeast Missouri. Company headquarters is in Cape Girardeau.

The regional sports editor will be the assignment editor for Rust newspapers in Southeast Missouri, semoball.com and additional channels to be created. He or she will also be the “face” of the regional website and be closely involved with the website’s regional awards show, a smaller scale version of the ESPY’s. Go to semoball.com/awards for more information about the show. Or visit youtube, search: semoball.

There will be some writing and print layout responsibilities involved, depending on need. Excellent people skills are a must.

The ideal candidate will have prior experience as a regional sports editor, but must have familiarity with today’s standards and reader expectations for digital sports content, social media engagement and analytics. The candidate must also have experience with managing digital content along with print deadlines. Personal experience creating video is an advantage.

The regional sports editor will have the opportunity to reshape how the company covers sports, eliminating current overlap between newspapers and providing content that readers, users and viewers want. It is a new position at the heart of the future of media in Southeast Missouri.

If this sounds like an opportunity for you, please send a cover letter and resume, as well as a link to a personal website, to lpresson@rustmedia.com.

2. MSUgrad

MSUgrad Member

Any word on this one? I received an email Oct. 29 stating, "Thanks for the application. We will be in touch regarding the next step."
    Yet, my follow-up email from last week has yet to be returned.

3. singerman

singerman New Member

Former contributor to this sports department. I strongly urge anyone to steer clear of this one. This paper has no clue what it's doing anymore.

4. MSUgrad

MSUgrad Member

Yeah, wondered what sort of drop off there would be once Josh left.

5. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

Just a curiosity on what you mean by this?

6. singerman

singerman New Member

When I started in 2014, the sports staff had four full-time employees and two part-timers but has since shrunk to just one full-time and one part-time in a matter of four years. That's not nearly enough resources to cover all the local high schools (18, iirc) and a Division I university. On top of that, a number of content creators in the newsroom have either been pushed out the door or had their positions dropped after leaving. The copy desk has dwindled as well. An "assistant publisher" came in and pretty much gutted the entire place. It's not a good place to be, I can promise.

Liut likes this.
  7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Is the "assistant publisher" Peter Kinder, by chance?

What happened to Marty Mishow? Is he even still in the business?

Thanks

8. singerman

singerman New Member

Lucas Presson is the assistant publisher. Mishow hasn't been there for several years but still lives in the area.

Draft saved Draft deleted