1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kareem Hunt Brutalizes and Kicks Woman in Hotel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, Nov 30, 2018.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

NFL once again dropped the ball in Kareem Hunt situation

This is a good explanation of what the NFL did wrong. I didn't realize that the league never bothered to speak with Hunt, instead relying on the Chiefs to handle that part of the investigation. This certainly does seem like yet another example of the NFL caring only about the appearance of doing the right thing rather than actually making every effort to do the right thing.

2. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

The NFL might want to set up its own investigation division and all claims go directly there.

I could easily see the NFL asking the Chiefs if they spoke to Hunt, and Hunt saying some lady was going crazy at his place the cops came and they didn’t do anything. If I’m the Chiefs, I’m not sure I don’t look further any further if the police didn’t think a crime was committed.

If you want the NFL or teams to go above and beyond what the police do, then you need a dedicated department and it needs to be large with a lot of resources. Individual teams are not going to keep a 3-5 person staff just to follow up on what players do on their own time.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If the police had it and didn’t charge anyone for anything, NFL privilege is a thing

4. outofplace

According to the stories I have read, the police did have the video all along.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Did Belcher have a history of violence before the murder?

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Not that I'm aware of, I don't even necessarily have much blame for the Chiefs. It just got a lot harder for me to enjoy the team and the NFL as a whole after that.

Even as players like Alex Smith and Eric Berry have been people to be proud of, let's just say I didn't feel a lot of outrage when the guy threw a beer in Tyreek Hill's face.

9. outofplace

I get where you are coming from on this, Jake. When it comes to sports, I freely admit that it is all about rooting for the laundry. There are certain players I like or respect based on how they play or what I see of what they do off the field, but it's really all about my favorite teams. Or in the case of baseball, it's mostly about my fantasy teams.

That my favorite team has employed some lousy human beings occasionally leaves me feeling conflicted, but I remain a fan. I still cringe when I see people wearing Roethlisberger's jersey, especially when it is a young girl, due his history. I told my daughter if she ever wanted a jersey, she had to pick somebody else and I explained why. I absolutely get why some other people would stop supporting the team under those circumstances. I just think every team has a mix of decent guys and horrible ones. Roethlisberger may be tough to root for, but it's very easy to cheer for James Conner or Alejandro Villanueva.

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

One thing I don't get about this story is the police department's claim that they weren't going to work terribly hard to get the tape because this case was only a misdemeanor. How do they know the severity of the situation if they don't see the tape?

So the cops say it's a misdemeanor, which (at least to me) explains why the media didn't do much with this story until the release of the tape.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Hunt has been removed from Madden 19, apparently.

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I mean, I still consider myself a Chiefs fan. I had a arrowhead T-shirt on just the other day. But it doesn't matter to me if they win like it used to. Part of it is just being sour on the NFL as a whole.

Draft saved Draft deleted