1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 13 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Nov 29, 2018.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

For a guy who likes to focus on his sense of humor, you seem to take standing for the national anthem quite seriously.

Vombatus likes this.
  2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

In any event, he’s done when you consider the QB wrecks signed instead of him.

Vombatus likes this.
  4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Hey, I liked Spartan’s post. I get it.

I think Kaep completely botched his “protest”. After getting everyone’s attention, he should have moved away from the anthem but continued to speak out about his issues with various aspects of American life. And he could still show a visual sign of protest, like raising a gloved fist (ala 68 Olympics) while running out of the tunnel before games.

He would have had the media still follow him, he might have gotten even more fellow players to join in, he could continue to speak out about issues, and not committed hari kari to his career in the process.

Screwing around with the anthem is like touching the third rail on a subway. You fry yourself. You immediately get a large part of the population against you, ignoring your cause and issues. And that’s counterproductive.

He got bad advice from that Veteran about kneeling. He should have told him to do it for about three weeks, but once you have the attention of folks, raise awareness and speak out, get people to listen instead of tuning out.

The way it played out was not optimal for his cause, was it? And does he have much of a stage to speak from anymore?

I just don’t hear much about it anymore, aside from NFL ad revenue, attendance and ratings being down.

That’s a shame.

+++++

Oop, regarding humor and more serious posts, I’ve slowed down and tamed the humor stuff/crap a bit. And I have tried to post more thoughts (non-humor) over the past 4 or 5 years. I’ve felt a lot of blowback on that though - I feel like a lot of folks don’t like my presence any longer once I revealed some of my political leanings.

But no one here really knows me. I’d be quite happy if I could be the next Dali Lama (as long as I have a smartphone and can still post cat memes here).

Have a great rest of the week!
    VB

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Regardless of which path Kaep took to protest, 99.3% of the people now unhappy, would still be unhappy. I guaran-fucking-tee it.

PCLoadLetter likes this.
  6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

If I had a buck for every white guy who has told me how THEY would have handled Kaepernick's protest. It's uncanny.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with the idea that Kaepernick handled the whole thing badly. It just felt like you were on the side of the teams blackballing him. If I read that wrong, I apologize.

The entire discussion shifted from the issues Kaepernick wanted to address to a rebellion against being told what to do by the league and by others, including President Trump. That wasn't entirely Kaepernick's fault, but he didn't build on his own his own starting point.

Regarding the last bit, most of us don't really know each other despite our claims to the contrary. By us I mean members of this site and the other one.

HanSenSE and Vombatus like this.
  8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

And for the record, my remark was a criticism of the Washington football team and not of @Vombatus

I think it's bull a dude who committed violence against a woman was picked up by a team while a dude who chose to exercise his free speech to protest racism wasn't. But I get VB's (and everyone else's) disagreement. VB keep being you man!

Vombatus likes this.
  9. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted