1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football 2018 championship week thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 26, 2018.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

OK, you know a lot more than I do about Pitt football, obviously. But as much as ESPN hyped it, I thought that Backyard Brawl rivalry was a pretty big deal, Pitt's second-biggest behind Penn State.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

The old Big East desperately needed conflict so they hyped WVU-Pitt and WVU- Louisville a great deal. As far as rivalries go, Penn State was in-state and was always the main rival- playing Thanksgiving weekend up until PSU went to the Big 10. Even after they left, WVU didn’t get juices flowing - mainly because both programs were average at best from 1994-2001. When RichRod got things going the 2002 game was the biggest crowd to see a football at Heinz, but that was mostly WVU fans driving in. It sold out again in 2008 when both teams were top 25 but, beyond that, it never drew big crowds. 2004 was about 48,000 on thanksgiving night and 55,000 on a Thursday in 2006. Last game in Pittsburgh brought 60,000 but that’s still under capacity by about 7,000.

Meanwhile, two unranked Pitt and Notre Dame teams sold out in 2013.

One time I’ve seen Pitt fans really care about WVU. December 1, 2007.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I'm looking through the schedule of bowl games......there are a bunch of stinkers. I mean, games that I couldn't give two shits about.
    The 4 most interesting games to me are as follows.

Memphis v Wake in the Birmingham Bowl (There may be 200 plays run here.)
    West Virginia v Syracuse in the Camping World Bowl (This may go down as the best bowl game of all of them)
    Oklahoma v Alabama in Orange Bowl (If OU doesn't score 45, they have no shot.)
    Missouri v Oklahoma State in Liberty Bowl (Odom v Gundy. 2 pricks that don't care about defense. Many many points.)

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Memphis was fun to watch this season. Darrell Henderson has a touch of Barry Sanders to him. 214 carries for the season and he's averaging 8.9 ypc? Guy's a stud.

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

With only one appearance in the title game. Da U Is Back. Right.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

For some bizarre reason, I watched BC-Wake on the eve of the hurricane. Wake ran something obscene like 108 plays or something like that.
    Again, they might not have known where they were going, but they were getting there very very quickly.

Vombatus and Neutral Corner like this.
  7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

FTFY.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

And Pitt, with its idiotic coaching and 3-star recruits, gave Clemson more of a game this year than big, bad, 11-1 Miami did last year.

10. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Miami went 10-3 last year. Won the first ten, lost their final three

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

And here’s Navy’s uniforms, featuring Bill The Goat and the Don't Give Up The Ship motto:

https://www.navytimes.com/off-duty/military-culture/2018/12/04/navy-uniform-puts-bill-the-goat-center-stage-honors-history-for-battle-with-rival-army/

CE9AB5AB-2F8F-469E-B1FD-5421683B005E.jpeg

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Advantage Army.

Draft saved Draft deleted