1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 13 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

Welcome back NFL

/s/ City of Los Angeles

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

That they got right.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Chef2 likes this.
  4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The Steelers are done. They just gave away consecutive games and they may have lost James Conner for a while. If by some miracle they stumble into the playoffs, they will exit very quickly, but I don't think they will make it.

5. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Pitt is at the Raiders, home against the Patriots, at the Saints and home against the Bengals.
    Balt is at the Chiefs, home against the Bucs, at the Chargers and home against the Browns.
    Not gonna call that a miracle run if the Steelers get in. Yes Conner may be out. But the Ravens
    are starting an UFA from Rutgers and also a QB who has made 3 NFL starts.

6. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I'd personally rather watch a new team shit the bed against the Patriots in the playoffs anyway.

justgladtobehere and sgreenwell like this.
  7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The Chiefs look very vulnerable now without Hunt. The Ravens' secondary is excellent. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Baltimore win that game.

That UFA from Rutgers has proven he can play. The Steelers' option behind Conner, Samuels, has not. Pittsburgh's other option, Ridley, has proven he can't play.

I wish I could say my thoughts on the Steelers' playoff chances were driven by frustration last night. It was certainly frustrating to see them give away a second consecutive game, this time with ample help from the officials, but I stand by what I posted. The Steelers will be lucky to win two out of the remaining four games and 8-7-1 won't be enough to get them into the playoffs. Perhaps miracle was overstating it slightly, but the Steelers have shown a special talent for blowing games. This season is reminding me of the infamous "Unleash Hell" collapse in 2012. The Steelers lost five out of six late in the season to fall to 7-8 and missed the playoffs. The current team could easily go into the final game of the season on a five-game losing streak.

Of course, the status of Conner will be a huge part of the season going forward. The Raiders stink against the run, but the Steelers don't really have a good way to attack that weakness without him.

It's probably unfair, but the heat has to be on Mike Tomlin right now. His team has played three incredibly sloppy games in a row, twice giving away games that it should have won with stupid, unforced errors. Sure, the officials didn't help last night, but Pittsburgh let LA back in that game and handed the Chargers new life at least twice early on the third quarter with idiotic mistakes. At some point, the coach is going to be held accountable for the team's sloppy play.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

It's not unfair at all. If they miss the playoffs, he should get fired. His stupid challenge of the spot on that play late in the game is emblematic of how he's consistently outcoached. There was not incontrovertible evidence to overturn that play, so you don't challenge it and lose a timeout. Idiotic. Even before Conner got hurt, they moved away from the run game, which is again dumb because SD's run D is suspect. Finally, Big Ben is just playing awful right now. Too many mental errors and just ghastly mistakes: missing justin hunter, that fling IT that Derwyn James picked off. That loss was a back-breaker. You can blame some of it on the refs, but I think a lot of it was self-inflicted.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Because of their amazing set of really strong strengths and really weak weaknesses, the Steelers were bound to be a streaky team, both within games and in terms of the overall season. It is not inconceivable that this current bad streak will be succeeded by another hot streak. In short, I know fans and commentators do it all the time, but the Steelers don't seem like a good fit for straight-line projection.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'll throw out a crazy hot take and say the Steelers could lose out. Raiders are showing signs of giving a crap, Pats and Saints are easily lose-able and if the Steelers get to the finale out of playoff contention, they won't care and my hapless Bengals will win, thereby convincing Mike Brown that ONE MORE YEAR will be the turning point for Marvin Lewis. And we Bengals fans will head for the nearest bridges.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I admire this post for its success in combining the darkest pessimism of TWO fan bases.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I am pretty darn sure that the first of the three charger kicks was actually good. It is funny how the league will micro analyze some plays to the 16th of an inch. But field goals? The stupid ref makes a call and we are all done.

Draft saved Draft deleted