1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football 2018 championship week thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 26, 2018.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Actually, Florida sponsored FSU's inclusion into the league as early as 1963 or 1964. (I can't find the citation, unfortunately.) But that was about the time Bobby Dodd and Bear Bryant were quarreling over the direction of the conference, and I don't know if the matter ever reached a vote.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The last time Ohio State got the chance to play Alabama in the playoffs, it beat them. Can't beat 'em if you don't ever get the chance.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Was that this season? No. Every season is different.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Precisely.
    Nothing to whine about today.
    Dont get shithoused at Purdue if you're OSU and if you're Wazzu, dont lose to a putrid USC. Losing to UW was insignificant in the grand scheme of things, though I would have enjoyed Leach trying to hang 90 on The.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

And when Miami went to the ACC, many figured FSU and UM would meet in the conference title game every year. 0-for-15 so far.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see how Tua leaving the game impacts his Heisman vote.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Those are scheduled way in advance. And again, an excellent opportunity to tailgate with old friends and make a weekend trip to the ol' alma mater.

Virginia Tech has no issues with attendance, usually, but there were maybe 25,000 people at Lane Stadium for that Marshall game. A grand majority of Tech's alumni live in either NoVa, Richmond or the Tidewater and it's not easy when you have a family to just get to Blacksburg on short notice for a late rescheduled game.

Would Alabama have the same issue in the playoff? Probably not. Alabama's a different animal. And maybe an eight-team, on-campus FBS playoff would be completely different than FCS. But if you look at playoff attendance numbers for anyone not named North Dakota State in that subdivision, and it's not a pretty sight.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Every FCS (it was I-AA in my day) playoff game I ever covered had a full house. I-AA schools have small stadiums. There is also a world of difference between a throwaway game at the tail end of the season and a playoff game. If Va. Tech had a home playoff game I daresay you'd do your best to be there.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

You got it before expansion. Now they play first-round games on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Maybe they always did then, too. Covered a game at JMU in 2013 where the stadium was half empty, and JMU has a good fan base. Wofford's coach had to call out the fan base for not showing after last week's first round game.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

If you pay attention to the upper corners of Lane Stadium, you're in the beginning stages of attendance problems. At lot of schools are. People are starting to wise up and realize you're better off watching at home than be in the upper tank of a college stadium, especially a stadium like Lane where you're swatting small planes out of the way to see.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I agree completely, for Tech and across the country. That's the biggest danger for Fuente right now ... there's a bit of fan apathy and ennui and that's a dangerous spot for a coach. Tech fans (reasonable ones at least) aren't expecting to compete for the playoff on a year-in, year-out basis. But if Tech becomes a middle-of-the-pack team in its own division in the ACC on a regular basis, he's in trouble.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Oh, I don't doubt that. I was just strictly thinking of the big boys in an eight-team playoff. If/when the powerbrokers get greedy and go to a 16-teamer, that's where I think you're guaranteed lousy attendance in first-round games. Like if Alabama played, say, Northern Illinois in a 1-16 seed game.

Draft saved Draft deleted