1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

School paper suspended for publishing story on football transfers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Spartan Squad, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Yes, Springdale was the state's biggest high school at that time. Now the district has the 2 biggest high schools — Springdale High and Har-Ber. The NW part of the state has been upsetting the apple cart for a good while. (Although this year's results didn't show it as both state finalists were CA schools.)

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

In this case, they can only transfer for academic reasons. The story by the student paper includes quotes by at least two of the players saying they were transferring for football.

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

When kids transfer for athletic reasons, shockingly the school they transfer from is usually the one that reports it.

heyabbott likes this.
  4. cjericho

Which was followed by Houston Nutt's fall from prominence., although his peak wasn't as high as Malzahn's.

5. outofplace

As I mentioned earlier, I'm most curious to see how the local professional media outlets react. They should have something on this tomorrow and they should be hounding the district, building principles, athletic directors, football coaches and players.

6. cjericho

Also curious, but they got beat by the student paper. Would think now they get a no comment from anyone connected to the school.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Wondering if any of them touched this in the first place. (EDIT: Props to cjericho)

And lest we forget: Per Wikipedia, Springdale is very close to the hometown of those board favorites, the Duggar family.

8. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

With a big feature, complete with anonymous sources and FOI requests? Without reading the original article, it's hard to tell if it was good solid journalism, sour grapes at a rival or a mix of both.

I mean, how would you handle it? All five kids got approval to transfer. I presume some of them are minors, and who, may or may not be, considered public figures. I would've waited for more than two interviews and a video.

9. cjericho

Was just saying anytime a kid transfers the school he transfers to isn't going to admit they recruited the kid for athletic
    reasons, unless it's a pretty stupid or careless coach. Usually it's the coach of the school the kid left or parents of kids
    at that school who report the "illegal" transfer.

10. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Sorry - I misunderstood you. And I'd love to cheer these kids on. But it does seem a little muddled.

11. outofplace

I've heard of coaches doing this, which is amazingly stupid.

12. outofplace

The student newspaper didn't have all anonymous quotes. They had quotes from players who admitted they were transferring because it was better for football.

I couldn't even find a story about the transfers, even one that didn't question the decision to allow them.

Draft saved Draft deleted