1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football 2018 championship week thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Re: attendance. Boise State has a good fan base as far as I can tell, and that stadium was at least half empty for a championship game last night. FCS fights this all the time. People plan for the games that are on the schedule. Last second scheduling doesn’t work. Football games are tailgate events as much as anything. The home attendance would not be great if schools hosted playoff games on campus. Do you care about that, or do you care about crowning a true champion? Money talks, as we know.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

To be fair to Boise, there was that blizzard going on. Those cut down on the live gate.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I don't have a lot of patience with "it was raining", but a blizzard? You get some slack for that.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

USC 15.

John B. Foster and Spartan Squad like this.
  5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The SEC invited Florida State.

Florida State declined.

Just stop with this nonsense.

Bobby Bowden Florida State SEC: Bobby Bowden weighs in on the Florida State-to-SEC rumors

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Be better.

Chef2 and HanSenSE like this.
  7. GilGarrido

GilGarrido Active Member

Two things I was surprised to see when trying to figure out how Georgia's strength of schedule could be high when the SEC East is supposed to be so meh:

- Sagarin's formula has the SEC East as the second strongest division of any conference, behind only the SEC West; and
    - The SEC East was 9-6 against the SEC West this year.

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Ole Miss and Arkansas alone accounted for 4 of the 9 wins.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm not sure about that. The powerhouses get 60,000 or more for spring games. I think the playoff games, even the first round in an eight-team deal, would be an easy sell. Unless the CFP controls pricing and charges far more than the fans pay for their usual tickets -- and I wouldn't put that past them.

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I stand corrected on the 1990 matter.
    Previously, however, there is evidence that Florida did engage in a blockade.
    https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2011/1990-sec-expansion-southeastern-conference/
    From that piece:
    Another report, by Mark Maske of the Washington Post, suggested Florida State refused to be in the same conference as Florida because the Gators “once fostered an SEC blackballing of the Seminoles.” In 2001, a Florida Times-Union retrospective quoted a FSU booster as saying, “There was quite a bit of feeling that we didn’t want to be entrapped; a feeling that among some fans that if we go into [the SEC]…we’d be kind of a stepchild.”

Donny in his element likes this.
  11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

SEC didn't "resist" FSU. They were willing to take them as long as they agreed to be put in the East. SEC saw Spurrier coming, realized he'd wake up the sleeping giant and were deathly afraid of an SEC title game between Florida and FSU every year (at that time, in the summer of 1990 when expansion talks were ongoing, FSU was coming off a combined 7-0 run against Florida, Auburn and LSU over three years, and beat Auburn twice when Tigers won or shared the SEC title).
    FSU wanted to be in the SEC West. Felt it was more of a natural fit and in addition to getting a home game with Miami or Florida every year, they'd get a good gate from having a home game against Auburn or Alabama every year. The FSU president at the time, Bernie Sliger, was an LSU guy and Bowden obviously had Alabama roots. They wanted it, but not under the SEC's terms of putting them in the same division as Florida (Gators also wanted no parts of that).
    Talks broke down and the ACC stepped in. Bobby gratefully cherry-picked after that.

Donny in his element likes this.
  12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted