1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football 2018 championship week thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

8 team calendar works out if you do away with the fact that its now 28 days before the playoffs begin.

First Round. Weekend after conference championship games.
    Have one game Thursday Night.
    Other 3 Saturday. 11,2:30,7

Second Round.
    3:30,7.

Championship Game
    Monday Night.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

SEC would never admit UCF. To their credit, they take care of their own. They resisted FSU in the name of protecting Florida.
    The ACC could learn a thing or two about loyalty to your real, founding (or at least long established) membership. Taking Va Tech was a shameful decision that paved the way for the worst choice of all, University-6.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  3. tapintoamerica

ESPN is to the SEC in this case what Iowa farmers are to Trump. ESPN is willing to vote against economic self-interest in order to show its craven loyalty to the SEC. Oklahoma would have a net positive impact on viewership relative to Georgia because OU would draw in fans across Texas who would root against the Sooners. No matter. Pundits are chiming in to support the Dawgs' candidacy.

4. tapintoamerica

Damn. You're right. I rescind my previous post.

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

The fact that a team can go two complete seasons undefeated and not be allowed to compete for their sport's championship is ridiculous to me. May as well create a separate playoffs for the Group of 5 conferences. What a sport where essentially half your teams never have a chance to win it all even before they step on the field.

Would love to see UCF go on to break Oklahoma's 47 game winning streak, and sit atop that list with a grand total of zero national titles.

Chef2 likes this.
  6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Ooooof.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

That's why I'd love to see ESPN spin Georgia into the playoff. It needs to be blown up and replaced.

8. Neutral Corner

Create a separate playoff for the G5 and all you have is a a championship no one respects. The NIT of football, and NIT = Not In Tournament.

The G5 teams are not asking to be given anything except a chance to win on the field, not at the debate table.

Next up will be making March Madness P5 only so that the P5 conferences can suck up all the tournament money. I'd far rather see the Cinderella teams get a shot than the 9th/10th/11th place team from a power conference. If they move up from being seeded low it is because they *won the games when the chips were down*.

9. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

So, the arguments for Georgia is (1) they played Alabama tough and (2) Jesse Palmer thinks Ohio State and Oklahoma would have 2 losses playing Georgia's schedule. So good losses matter more than wins and we're playing imaginery games.

10. Neutral Corner

Four years ago today I was standing outside UAB's decrepit football offices, a converted 70's era dentist office, when the program was officially shut down. Today the program that the "Vocal Few" fought to bring back has state of the art facilities in a forty million dollar football building and IPF, a new stadium on the way, and UAB is a conference champion.

Isn't life strange? It's a remarkable story.

HanSenSE and Batman like this.
  11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

This isn’t happening this year, but ...

A final four of Alabama, Notre Dame, Georgia and UCF is my very delicious picture of CFP chaos nirvana. That cuts FOUR P5 conferences out of the pie.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Eureka.
    Talk about crying real tears.

Draft saved Draft deleted