1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

F--- boxing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by anonymousprick, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

This deserves an ffs mention on this thread, too.

If Floyd wants to fight another big money MMA crossover exhibition, that's his right.

But like the McGregor fight, it should go on his record as an asterisk.

Until he fights another actual boxer, he's stuck at 49-0*.

'We’re fighting': Floyd Mayweather says Khabib Nurmagomedov bout will happen

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I don't get the point/appeal of this one. The general public doesn't know who Nurmagomedov is, and they're not going to sell it with the racist bullshit that McGregor excels at.

Seems to me the only audience is people who follow the sport and already know better.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Not a single post, thought, prediction in anticipation of tomorrow night's WBC heavyweight champeenship?

Wilder? Fury?

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Another bad decision

I had Fury winning 114-112.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The draw wasn't outrageous given the knockdowns, but that 115 - 111 scorecard was crazy. I had Fury winning as well.

But I don't think either one of these guys can beat Anthony Joshua.

Too bad Wilder never learned to box. He'd be unbeatable.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Fury looks like he just escaped from a mental institution.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

You’re not far off.

And he totally outboxed Wilder. After he got up in the 12th, I’m not sure there’s anyone in the world capable of knocking him out.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  11. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I thought it was a draw. There were some tricky rounds in there that could go either way. And Fury had two clear 10-8 rounds. But it was a hell of a fight and a finish.

And I came out of it liking both guys a lot more and liking the way they didn't bitch about the scores. It was a battle, like a good heavyweight match is, and now they can do it again for a lot more money.

12. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Oddly enough I think both these guys can beat Joshua. If nothing else, they've both faced better competition than Joshua just by fighting each other. Fury is a hell of a technical boxer with his size. Even though he doesn't have a lot of pop in his punches he's generally difficult to hit and clearly he's much much much tougher than people expected. He's a little chinny for sure but he's smart enough in the ring to protect himself better.

As for Wilder. He has the ability to connect and drop anyone at any time. Joshua has a lot of strengths but he leaves himself very open for counters and he's not immune to being knocked down. If Klitchsko could do it late in a fight after being dropped himself, there's no doubt in my mind Wilder could do it. And Wilder's also shown exceptional heart and toughness against Fury and Ortiz, he's more than willing to walk through some punishment to get in his big shots and he's never had a fight where he didn't get them in.

Draft saved Draft deleted