1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wait until this girl's name shows up in a box score

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MTM, Nov 29, 2018.

1. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Looks like somebody has been breathing through his eyelids.

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Is the younger sibling named Seveneightnine?

Side note, I told my 6-yr-old the joke: "Why is 6 afraid of 7?" And it became a 10-minute conversation, including him trying to come up with different versions of said joke (all terrible, like "What is 8+8?" ... "88!" and "Why is 2 afraid of 1? Because 1 ate buns.")

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

When I was working medical, I walked up to the waiting room to call the next patient. I look down and see "AmaRica Jones". I stumbled trying to figure out how to say it, and this black lady says "That's pronounced America". It was her daughter's name.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

(stealing from a FB comment) The mother should sue for $12,345.

qtlaw, sgreenwell, expendable and 4 others like this.
  5. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

There is currently an athlete on the women's basketball team at the juco I cover named JonN'a. Not a mistype, that's a capital N. And it's still miles better than Abcde.

The PA guy for the college says the coach told him it's pronounced "John-na." But looking at it would make me think the capital N serves the same function as an accent mark and then the apostrophe is meant to make sure you say "jon-NAY" instead of "jon-NUH."

I miss simpler times like having to ask people which one of the 30-plus variations of the spelling for the sound that the name Carrie/Kerry/Karee makes someone gave their daughter.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

V'Gina Rivers

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Because of my time in sports, I made damn sure we used common spellings for our daughters' names.

HanSenSE likes this.
  8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

When my niece went out for cross country in high school, I thanked my brother for that on behalf of the entire industry.

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Mike Hunt.

maumann and spikechiquet like this.
  10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Is this the woman's only child? If not, it should be.

Vombatus likes this.
  11. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

That's her middle name.

12. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

The Brevard County District Attorney's name during my time in Melbourne was Mike Hunt. I made sure we called him "Michael Hunt" on every broadcast.

Draft saved Draft deleted