1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I didn't realize he/she was in that

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by outofplace, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Thomas Middleditch. He's one of the most hilarious people on the planet.

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Duh. He's Canadian. We're funny funny people.

Jake_Taylor likes this.
  3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

He is great on Comedy Bang Bang.

Jake_Taylor likes this.
  4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I've been doing a re-watch of ER episodes on Hulu and you can't go more than two or three without running into someone who guest-starred there and then became significantly more famous.

Some of the most prominent ones: Octavia Spencer, Flo from Progressive, the guy who voices all the Granger ads, Gabrielle Union, Aaron Paul, Taraji P. Henson, Shia LeBoeuf, J.K. Simmons and Christina Hendricks, to name a few.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Kirsten Dunst, William H. Macy are two more.

6. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

On the three major Law & Order shows (original, SVU and Criminal Intent) there were a several actors that first appeared as guests and later were picked up as a different regular character. A couple were guests on the original before they were cast as regulars on the spinoffs. I believe this to be the definitive list.

Jerry Orbach
    S. Epatha Merkerson
    Annie Parisse
    Michael Imperioli
    Milena Govich
    Jeremy Sisto
    Diane Neal
    Kelli Giddish
    Raúl Esparza
    Peter Scanavino
    Eric Bogosian
    Courtney B. Vance

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The franchise is pushing 30 years now, so it stands to reason the cast would turn over.

8. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

I was trying to make a more selective point. If you numbered the actors in those three franchises that played different roles over the years I am sure it would be in the dozens, easy. Yet when I stumble across Lt. Van Buren portraying a ghetto single parent or Lenny playing a slick lawyer, I'm like, "let me go to IMDb to look this up".

Fred siegle likes this.
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

My favorite "Holy Crap!" was seeing Phillip Seymour Hoffman p;ay some slug that the detectives talk to before finding the bad guy.

Slacker likes this.
  10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This doesn't count as SEEING the person, but when the credits rolled on an episode of Maverick I saw last week on the Showtime Western channel, one read "Written and Directed by Robert Altman."

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Just watched the end of "A League of Their Own" on MLB Network. Tea Leoni plays 1B for Racine. Her second credited movie, after "Switch." Never noticed her before but she's prominent in one of the photos on the wall in the closing scenes at the AAGPBL exhibit in the HOF.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

NYPD Blue did the same thing. Richard Schiff played two different characters, though those were only one-episode appearances. Currie Graham played a minor role early in the series before returning as a lieutenant who took over the squad seven years later.

The most glaring example was Charlotte Ross, who played the abused wife of a dirty cop in 1998, then returned three years later as a detective in the precinct who ended up marrying Sipowicz. (Gotta love television. They piled misery after misery upon that character, but his wives kept getting more and more beautiful as things progressed.)

Draft saved Draft deleted