1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2018-19 Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Oct 4, 2018.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't think it is a desperation move. I think they thought this through. I am not sure I like it, just because I am not sold on Paxton, but it was the move of a team that sees itself as right on the doorstep and saw the starting pitching that was the weak spot last year. Paxton can be dynamic. He gets lot of strikeouts, and the Yankees seem to favor that kind of starter. My concerns are, 1) Whether he will durable, 2) how he handles NY (i.e. -- I always prefer a player who chooses to walk into the pressure), 3) The fact that he is prone to giving up home runs, and he isn't going to be playing at Safeco for his home starts anymore.

That said, I heard a lot always about Sheffield being the great prospect, but he's still really an unknown. It is telling when a prospect who is that prized supposedly gets shuttled around the way he has.

Paxton might be fine. Especially if they add another starter to the mix.

One thing became clear to me last year. I was getting really excited about Severino duing the first half of the year, but with how he fell apart during the second half of the year and during the playoffs, I am not sure he is ever going to be a number 1 starter in the mold of a Pedro Martinez. ... where my head had started to go. His arm is amazing, and he has developed several good pitches. At his best he has batters so off balanced. But when one or two of his pitches aren't working, mentally he seems to lose focus. And too many disasters happened. The great pitches find a way through that. I wasn't entirely happy with them bringing Sabathia back, but if you could take Sabathia's mental ability to go out there with very little in his arm and still find a way to get hitters out, and add that to Severino's arm, it would be an amazing thing for Yankees fans. Even Tanaka has that. His arm is a shell of what it was when he first came over, with the arm injury, but he has adapted to become the kind of pitcher he needs to be. Tanaka gives up a ton of home runs, but you notice that a lot of them are solo home runs, which is why they aren't super costly for him usually.

Their lineup will score runs. That bullpen is ridiculous. Their starting pitching, unless they can stock pile options (and jettison Sonny Gray) is always going to be the potential achilles heel for them. Paxton is a definite upgrade. I just hope they don't look back and see Justus Sheffield becoming a Hall of Famer. With regard to the lineup, I hope they don't do a Manny Machado signing. It's not what they need. They have built a fantastic, very young core that could be there for years to come (Gary Sanchez, who I think is bad news, notwithstanding). Let it work.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Does seem like a step in the right direction. I can take a 115-loss season if it means a bunch of young guys are coming up together, a la the Astros, and taking their lumps. I can't take it when it's a bunch of aging schlubs going out and laying eggs night after night.

Vombatus likes this.
  3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Adrian Beltre retired:

4. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Somebody check on Elvis Andrus.

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The last year in the “old” ballpark in Arlington (opened 1994) is going to be brutal. It’ll be like they cloned Rob Deer nine times.

6. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

A guy who finished in the top 15 in mvp voting seven straight should sail into the Hall in his first few ballots, but I wonder if it will take many years for it to happen.

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

He's a first-ballot selection. There is no question on that.

8. Della9250

Ok then slot him after Severino. That makes Tanaka your No. 3, and how many guys in that slot are better than him?

The question with Montgomery is when is he going to be ready after his surgery. And there is no guarantee that Sheffield turns into something better or great. There are very few trades --almost nine -- that Cashman has made regarding prospects that are bad in hindsight. Yes there is risk involved but he gets the benefit of the doubt because of his track record.

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Agreed, but day after, which trade looked better? This or Gray?

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Agreed. He's in the conversation with Chipper Jones, George Brett and Eddie Mathews as the second-greatest 3B in history after Mike Schmidt.

No doubt Hall of Fame lock.

FileNotFound likes this.
  11. Della9250

There were people at the time who thought the Yankees gave up too much for Gray. It is almost essentially the same deal -- headlined with the top pitching prospect at the time. The outfielder then is more advanced but it's pretty close.

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Sheffield is more highly regarded than Kaprelian was. I thought they gave up too much for Gray, and think so again. Whether Sheffield pans out or not, he is highly regarded and therefore even if you decide he's overrated, I wonder if you could have done better than a 30 year old SP.

bigpern23 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted