1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Take care of yourself

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny_Dangerously, Sep 11, 2003.

1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

A 16:40 5K at 42? That is fucking quick, man.

2. RecoveringDesker

RecoveringDesker Active Member

I quickly found out in high school that I made a far better runner than a football player. I then ran in college and had a 5K track PR of 14:51 in my sophomore year, but never got faster than that.

I have a lot of overweight people in my family and I’ve seen first-hand the issues they’ve had, so my goal in life always was to try to run enough to avoid that.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Another 7 days in the book: 40.4 miles.

After 35 weeks: 1,444 miles.

Fluctuating weight: 242-245.

I've started taking CBD products to see if/how they work. My right ankle had been sore and achy for the better part of 2 weeks. I ate a few squares of CBD Living Chocolate before the gym one morning and noticed right away that the ankle was less achy during and afterward. Rinse and repeat the next few days and the ankle felt great even several hours after the cardio. I've since bought CBD gummies, which have more milligrams per piece. I feel better overall and definitely more calm and relaxed throughout the day.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'm not nearly the runner you are, but I am a fat man waiting to happen. ... my dad put on a lot of weight later in life and wasn't healthy. I don't want that to happen to me.

I turned 50 over the summer. I had put on weight over the last few years. I don't weigh myself often, so I am not sure exactly what I got up to at the peak, but I was probably pushing 175, which for me is huge. I am around 5'10". I have spent most of my life closer to 155, 160. Between 165 to 170 when I let myself go, which was becoming more of the norm over the last 10 years. I start looking thick at around 165. You can see it in my face. I wasn't feeling good about it. I have always exercised, almost every morning, but I let the intensity drop. We also walk a ton, especially on the weekends, so it's not like I had become a total sloth. But in my 30s and into my 40s, I pushed myself really hard. I needed to, because as I said, I am a fat man waiting to happen. Over the last 2 or 3 years or so, exercise had become more of a going through the motions thing. Part of a routine, but not pushing myself nearly hard enough.

Right around end of July, beginning of August, after I turned 50, I decided to run more and run harder, to see where I could get it to intensity wise. I have been using the Nike running app on my phone. I upped the intensity in slow increments, not knowing what I am capable of at 50. But I have kept at it, running 5 or 6 days each week for the last several months. I am at 4.5 miles, 5 or 6 days a week, running right around 7 minute miles. I was capable of better times than that when I was younger, but I feel OK with where I am at right now. I have a bit left in the tank and I could push it a bit more many days, but I don't want to risk burning myself out or injuring myself. With what I am doing I get a sweat, I don't have to devote too much time, and I feel like I have accomplished something.

I have always eaten pretty healthy, all natural, fruits and veggies, and I don't eat too much. So that wasn't the problem. The little bit of extra calorie burn is making a decent difference. I haven't weighed myself, so I don't know my weight exactly, but you can see the difference in my face and on my body. I'd guess I am somewhere around 160 now. I have posted this elsewhere, but to motivate myself, I made it a goal to get my body into a place I felt better about. ... and then I was going to buy a crimson red velvet jacket (don't ask). I may go shopping for my jacket this weekend.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Keep at it everybody.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Yep weight sneaks up. I’m 5’9” and was 120 entering college and 130 when I left. Was always about 145 while playing hoops 5 days a week until few years ago when it’s gotten down to only playing 1 a week. I now sit at 155 and wish I was back to 145.

7. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

I'm 222lbs and wish I was back at my college weight: 170

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Another 7 days in the book: 43.5 miles.

After 36 weeks: 1,487.9 miles.

Weight: 248 pounds.

HC likes this.
  9. RecoveringDesker

It’s been a few weeks since anyone posted here. I hope all are still fighting the good fight.

Anyone here ever run/train for a marathon? I’m eyeing one in February. If I run it, it’ll be my first. Training is going well. I run a lot anyway, but a few months ago when I started considering this I started to ramp up my mileage. If I do this — and right now I’d say there’s a 90 percent likelihood that I will — then I don’t want to just finish, I want to finish well. For me, that means a BQ, and in order to be assured of entry I’ve set a goal of 3:10 or better. Last week I ran 71 with a long run of 16 and no miles slower than 7:55. And no, I am NOT Dick Whitman.

Looking for advice/helpful tips. If you have any, let’s hear ‘em.

10. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

I am looking forward to some much needed time off. I've been off only two days since the elections.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Just saw this. I have never run a marathon. Thought about it, probably about 10 years ago. Talked about it. Never did it. I am mad at myself for that. I was doing a ton of running anyhow and really just wanted to be able to say I ran a marathon. But I never made it happen. At times I was doing as much as 15+ mile runs on my own. I am not sure what that little bit extra distance does to you, in terms of your ability to keep the pace up. I just never got past the "talking about it," phase, so I don't know. It's too bad, because I know I could have completed one, and my potential time would have been way better than if I try to do one now at 50. I started pushing myself a bit harder this past summer when I turned 50. I am only doing runs of between 4 and 5 miles, but I am at a place where I can keep a pace of somewhere between 7 and 7:30 miles. Which on the one hand makes me feel great, on the other hand makes me feel old. I have enough left in the tank when I run that I know I could extend the distance or push the pace a little for the distance I am running. But it's amazing at 50 how you can feel the difference -- my mind says I can do more, but my body is a little creeky. So I am more concentrating on pushing it so my heart rate is kind of elevated and I get a sweat, but I am running comfortably. It's turned into more of a "be healthy" thing than a "what am I capable of" thing.

If you do run a marathon, please keep us posted. A 3:10 marathon would be an accomplishment. I hope you accomplish it. Sorry I don't have any great tips to add.

12. RecoveringDesker

I know what you mean about being 50. By the time of the race, I’ll be there. I started to feel the creep of age about the time I hit 45.

High mileage is never easy, but I’ve found a certain “comfort” level in it the older I get. I also learned the hard way not to race every workout — sometimes it’s just about putting in the time on your feet, and it’s OK to have a tough day. As long as you haven’t injured yourself, you’ve lived to fight another day.

I always swore I’d never run a marathon. Trained for one in my late 20s and grew to hate every minute of it. But I started hearing the call (it’s now or never) back during the summer. So, here I am. I’m turning in my entry today, and it’s all systems go. This particular course is hilly the first half, pancake flat the second. Here goes nothing!

Draft saved Draft deleted