1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I was willing to forgive some of it (even if it became very cliche set times and the historical inaccuracies), I really wanted them to play Show Must Go On at the end especially with the card they played as they headed into Live Aid. It was in the credits but it wasn't the same.

2. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Almost as if he was ... Mr. Robot??

Spartan Squad likes this.
  3. Severian

Finally watched it. Wow. That movie fucked me up. But, it unlocked a desire to watch similar culty movies. The closest I could find was "The VVitch."

4. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Sasha Baron Cohen had some interesting comments on dealing with the band back when he was planning to make it.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

"BlacKkKlansman" is Spike Lee's best film since at least "25th Hour," possibly since "Do the Right Thing." The cinematography, the juxtaposition, the acting, they were all spot on. The film is probably heavy-handed for some, but Spike has never been a "subtle" filmmaker.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Hold The Dark - Netflix. Written/directed by the same guy who made Blue Ruin and The Green Room. Odd movie. Better upon reflection than it is as it unfolds, because it's not really about the plot - that's obvious, I dunno, 5 minutes in - but the ripples of some long-ago evil embedded northern Alaska, where the movie takes place. Watch it like you would read a Stephen King book and it makes more sense. The movie goes from "mmmm...OK" to "whoa, that escalated quickly" to, by the end, a kind of brush with evil. There's a 10-minute shootout scene that's no joke, either.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Seen a couple recently that I recommend.

Three Identical Strangers -- everyone I know who's seen this loves it, took me awhile to get to it for who knows what reason as I let it sit in my DVD basket for a while. Very entertaining, somewhat infuriating, centers on triplets separated at birth who eventually reunite then find out why they were separated and it doesn't go well after that. They interview the guys now and have plenty of archival footage. Three fun, gregarious, outgoing, good-looking, quintessential NYC guys who were full of life and did the talk-show circuit when the story came out, though it was all new to me. Highly entertaining.

American Animals -- low-key movie about some college guys who decide to steal some rare books that are worth millions from a library. They have a half-ass plan for stealing and selling the books. Interjects current interviews with the real people around the movie of them doing the deed, which adds to the movie. Really humanizes everyone involved as it centers most of the movie on the theft itself and how they all handle it. Sounds like it could be dull, but it's interesting.

Severian likes this.
  8. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Agreed. Though to the point about heavy-handedness, I thought the characters and some of the more mundane interactions had a delicately handled undertone, adding depth to the moments when Lee beats you over the head with his message.

bigpern23 likes this.
  9. melock

melock Well-Known Member

The Girl in the Spiders Web. Totally different lead cast than the dragon girl tattoo movie, which is one of my favorites, and no Fincher. This one had a lot more action. Some cool tech stuff, too. Definitely set up for more down the road. Hopefully they’ll actually do them.

Liut likes this.
  10. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Given the source material, we’re probably better off skipping to this one. The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest was a chore to finish.

11. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Catching up on a long weekend here

"Crazy Rich Asians." Enjoyed most if it; brought back memories of my week in Singapore a couple years back.Pretty predictable plot.

"A Star is Born." Very predictable plot; I wasn't as enthralled as most seemed to be. It reminded me of the god-awful country movie with Gwenyth Paltrow in it, I guess because of the ending. And I felt like Bradley Cooper was trying to imitate Jeff Bridges in "Crazy Heart." It was fine; don't get me wrong, but it didn't meet expectations. One issue I had was I had no concept of the passage of time.

"Won't You Be My Neighbor?" Wonderful. People forget that it's OK for things to be simple.

12. Severian

Racism is its character in the movie.

jlee likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted