1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

David Stern had USA Today reporter fired

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MeanGreenATO, Oct 29, 2018.

1. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

I don't know if this was public knowledge until recently, but Stern told SI's Chris Ballard that he had an unnamed USA Today reporter fired.

From the story: "He said, 'You got me fired didn't you?' And I said, 'Yes, and I'm proud of it. I'd do it again.' There is a family. We call it the NBA family and we really, we live it."

Anybody ever heard anything about this?

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

No. But if it did happen, wouldn't surprise me. Such was the power Stern had.

As for the story? You ask about legalized gambling, but not about Tim Donaghy?

3. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

Didn't happen, at least not like the misleading graf in the 'SI' story suggests. Stern once had Peter Vecsey removed as a halftime analyst/reporter from USA Network. Vecsey wasn't even working at USA Today at the time.
    The Power and Polarity of Peter Vecsey

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

That's not as bad, since USA Network isn't a news operation. But I wouldn't want to work for a boss or a media outlet that would let someone we cover dictate our staffing. Even having a beat person moved off -- which has happened at some newspapers -- due to a team's complaints would be a horrible sign of weakness.

Tweener likes this.
  5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Got no problem with the "guy steps down at 75 but still goes into the office every day and doesn't look back" feature and all, but more than once in that piece he sounds like a d-bag that enjoys being a d-bag.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    Tweener likes this.
  6. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

So did Stern or SI get USA TODAY (paper) confused with USA Network (cable TV)?

Seems like Stern owes USA TODAY an apology for misspeaking or SI needs a clarification or own up to a fact-check error.

7. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

I was surprised SI didn’t reach out to USA Today for comment.

HanSenSE and Joe Williams like this.
  8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

It is hard for me to believe that that a publication that works as hard as USA Today does to not express a controversial point of view could print something that would anger Stern that much.

9. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I think there's confusion here. Stern didn't get Vecsey fired from USA Today. He got him fired from USA Network (as noted above). The league or teams typically OK announcers and analysts.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  10. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Thank you for clarifying this. I knew something was amiss.

Network analysts and play-by-play guys get fired all the time for not toeing the company line. This is a non-story.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It's not a non-story that SI printed "USA Today" when it wasn't them. But I'll be very surprised if a correction is forthcoming.

12. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

That's an error by a publication that has seriously eroded in quality over the last 20 years. An error about a non-story doesn't make a non-story a story.

Draft saved Draft deleted