1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 College Football Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jake_Taylor, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

It’s on. David Beaty out at Kansas yesterday.

Rumor mill is heavy with Les Miles. I’m in believe it when I see it mode there. Outside of the Mad Hatter, my semi-realistic wishlist starts with Jeff Tedford, Jeff Monken and Willie Fritz.

KU used to be Dave Doeren’s dream job, but he was pissed they passed him over for Charlie Weis and he’s got a better job now. Unless he’s got a family reason to get back to the KC area that ship has sailed. Seth Littrell makes sense, but he can probably hold out for something with an easier transition at this point.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Technically this started with DJ Durkin at Maryland.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

You mean Todd Monken. He would be good. Wonder if Briles' kid will be mentioned. I still say Heupel woild be good there. Cant see Les there. He could never score at LSU. In the big 12, you better score 45 per game.

4. Jake_Taylor

No, I meant Jeff Monken from Army. Fuck no on anyone named Briles. I think Heupel still has a lot to prove. He's not that far from getting canned at OU.

5. Jake_Taylor

I'm still skeptical Miles to KU will actually happen, but I've heard from multiple people who know boosters who say their donations have been called in because they are going to announce it soon and assistant Tony Hull, who is well liked and has pulled some good recruits out of Louisiana, is staying on Miles staff.

That's the kind of stuff you always hear, but today Hull went down to Mississippi and offered a JUCO quarterback who originally committed to Miles at LSU.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Technically it started when Bowling Green fired Mike Jinks in mid-October.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I bet Jason Candle at Toledo will be mentioned for Kansas. What Matt Campbell (Candle's old boss) has done at Iowa State is pretty much the blueprint for the Jayhawks.

And while Miles would be interesting, he turns 65 next week. When was the last time a Power 5 program hired a coach that old?

8. Jake_Taylor

I think Bill Snyder was 70 the second time K-State hired him.

If KU hires a young coach and he wins he'll be gone in five years. If it hires a coach of any age and he loses he'll be gone in five years. If Miles retires in his early 70s...

9. nickp

nickp Active Member

Jeff long is gonna be the best thing to happen to Kansas football in a long time

10. Jake_Taylor

He's almost certainly the best AD they've had for the football program since Al Bohl. Bohl went against Roy Williams wishes and fired Terry Allen to hire Mangino. Williams got Bohl fired, then left anyway.

Five years later Mangino won an Orange Bowl and Bill Self won an NCAA title. Al Bohl is my favorite scape goat of all time.

11. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Heupel is at UCF.

12. Jake_Taylor

I know that. Just saying he's a guy who got fired from an assistant job not long ago and he's doing what he's doing at UCF after Frost set the table for him. Mizzou was nothing special with him as OC, even with a first-round pick at QB.

I'm not seeing what he's done to make him a candidate for a Power 5 conference job.

Draft saved Draft deleted