1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cat Person by Kristen Roupenian (and what it says about relationships)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

This is why I stick to memes.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

A more interesting exercise to me: What if he had been pleasant at the end? The author lets the female character off the hook a little with the ending. Her behavior previously feels more justified because he turned out to be a dick. But what if he were nice?

sgreenwell likes this.
  3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Well said, the protagonist is 'let off the hook' by the guy's hateful closing comment.

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Speaking of Lipsyte, would love if he'd have a new novel one of those years.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

That's a subtle cover graphic.

Hermes and Webster like this.
  7. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

I can already see the arm chair feminists on Twitter championing this book.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Just read that story again. Still didn't buy the very ending. End it with the ??? and I think it's stronger.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

As a 50+ old guy who’s been happily married for now 23 yrs I’m glad I’m not young now. The way to meet people is easier but the meetings are deeper when it’s in person; and guess what? It’s hard to talk to people honestly but get over it and life is not a bunch of “is he/she thinking this?” It’s real with no ambiguity if you’re honest. At least that’s how we live our marriage, disagreements last much shorter, more good times.

10. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Be glad you're not dating "on the apps," in a major city. That is truly the worst.

11. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

One of the vows my girlfriend and I have made each other: If something is bothering us, we say so. Then we fix the problem on the spot. There is nothing more cancerous to a relationship than the slow accumulation of low-level resentments. It was a hard lesson learned from my marriage.

12. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted