1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2018-19 Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Any team that had Boras for a GM would save itself tens of millions on contracts just because their players wouldn't be his clients anymore. I'd do it in a heartbeat if I were an owner. But trouble is, Boras makes so much now the only way he could make more was if HE was an owner. He'd never take a GM's salary.

2muchcoffeeman and sgreenwell like this.
  5. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Here’s another great one

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I am reading Jane Leavy's new book on Ruth as I type this.

John B. Foster likes this.
  7. John B. Foster

How you liking it so far?

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Really good, a lot different than your standard bio which makes a lot of sense given how many books about the Babe are out there.

9. John B. Foster

That's what I keep hearing. I have the book myself, however, I just started a few pages. I wanted to finish another book before really diving into The Big Fella.

Apparently, from what I have heard, Jane talks a lot about Babe's childhood in this one. It's my seventh book on Ruth, very excited to start really reading it.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

A lot less about baseball and more about the Babe's childhood and his life off the field as it relates to his agent, endorsements, barnstorming, publicity etc.

11. BartonK

BartonK Active Member

Two of Bryce Harper's top 4 baseball-reference similarity comps are Andruw Jones and Ruben Sierra. If that matches the internal analyses being done by teams, it would give me real pause about any deal longer than 5 years. Both those guys dropped off cliffs at age 30.

12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Harper will be 26 next season though, so even if he drops off the cliff after 30, that's still about half a contract's worth of good production, if you go 7 or 8 years. His full comparables list at age 25 is interesting - Jones, Griffey Jr., Justin Upton, Sierra, Frank Robinson, Mike Trout, Miggy Cabrera, Tony C., Canseco, Eddie Matthews. Plenty of great players, but also guys that didn't age gracefully, or who shifted to other positions.

Draft saved Draft deleted