1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Oct 10, 2018.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I'm probably wrong but IIRC LeBron was talking to Paul the whole time afterwards, that's the impression that I got.

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Lakers will be fine. Really tough first 10 games, going to be an adjustment period. And 0-2 start almost expected considering opens at Portland (lost 16 straight to them) and then facing team that was a good half away from knocking out Golden State last year. The West remains ahead of the East but is not what it once was, aside from Golden State. Still think Lakers will be in the mix from 3-10 with everyone else, from Utah to Denver to OKC to Spurs, Wolves, Clips, etc.

And Rondo's an asshole but he's the Lakers' asshole now so I'm sure his teammates like that he clocked Paul but who the hell is going to look askance at LeBron for not, what, pulling a Kermit Washington? Was LeBron supposed to get suspended too, so the next 3-5 games go from tough to impossible?

Now, if you think Laker fans on messageboards aren't totally panicking, you'd be quite wrong. Kobe fans particularly outraged at LeBron's perceived lack of aggressiveness on offense, and they also really want Julius Randle back. Which, he would fit great with them, but if the choice was Pope to get LeBron then it was a no-brainer.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I just had a Halloween fright. I took a gander at the Knicks' partial box score. That's their team? Holy shit, the 72-73 Sixers had more talent.

4. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

The Raptors are good...

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I think the Lakers are fascinating this year. They could be the second seed in the west. They could also miss the playoffs. As easy as it is to make fun of that roster -- and I've done it plenty -- there's some legit talent there. Rajan Rondo, while being crazy, is also really damn good, and as smart as anyone in the league. JaVale McGee can play. So can Ingram, Lonzo and Kuzma.

And I don't know that the west is still ahead of the east overall. The Warriors are the top team in the league, but you could make a case that 2, 3 and 4 are all in the east. (I think Boston and Toronto are definitely 2 and 3, in either order. Not entirely sold on Philly.)

I don't know who the second best team in the west will be... but it may be the Pelicans.

6. Michael_ Gee

Don't the Rockets and maybe the Nuggets come in here somewhere?

7. PCLoadLetter

The Nuggets and also Utah.

The Rockets got worse in the offseason -- just a question of how much. They were the best team in the league last year, but losing Ariza and Mbah a Moute and replacing them with Carmelo Anthony just seems like a massive step backwards.

8. Michael_ Gee

A step backwards, yes (Ariza is so good), but IMO not a massive one. They were so close last year.

9. John B. Foster

Raptors, if healthy have a real chance at the championship this year.

10. PCLoadLetter

They were. They were better that Golden State in the regular season and pushed them to the edge of elimination in the playoffs. It took a Chris Paul injury and a spectacular shooting failure in game seven for the Rockets to lose.

I think Houston is still going to score but their defense will be really atrocious.

And I agree with @John B. Foster - from what I've seen of Toronto they look really good. I'd love to see Kawhi stay there.

John B. Foster likes this.
  11. Michael_ Gee

Toronto is an intriguing mix, but my belief on Leonard is the law of sports physics that says a body in hurt tends to remain a body in hurt. Then again, lefty blogger Matt Yglesias says that exposure to socialized medicine is just what Kahwi needed.

12. John B. Foster

Vince Carter says otherwise.

Michael_ Gee likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted