1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2018-19 Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

They really didn't have a choice with Jeter, and he was already there when they realized how bad he was. If your pitching is suspect to begin with you can't give away extra outs all over your infield. Tanaka is going to give up the HRs. The key is to limit the baserunners ahead of them. a left side of Machado & Andujar makes everyone else worse. Maybe they can hit their way to being worth it, but there's likely a better way.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Jeter was an average fielder for much of his career and then declined. Teams have been putting big hitters who were questionable fielders at third base since forever, and if the Yanks get Machado, which I doubt, I bet he'd wind up there.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Machado is an excellent third baseman, but he's not that bad at short.

4. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Don't really know where to put this, but I started following this account a week or so ago:

He/she has some really interesting images of old-school baseball.

heyabbott likes this.
  5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Tinker and Evers hated each other and literally did not speak to one another for most of their careers.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

F14DF96B-833D-4B8D-92D3-920A56397E9E.jpeg
    Notice the guy on the left

Batman and John B. Foster like this.
  7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

IIRC and it wasn’t that long ago, Jeter had a good arm, a solid glove and was well positioned. He couldn’t go to his left and lacked range. Machado would get crushed in NY. Wrong attitude for Yankee fans. He can be an awesome hitter when he gives it all, but he loses focus and concentration when he doesn’t want to be bothered.

they need a shortstop but they need starters more

8. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Babe Ruth, Bill Carrigan, Jack Berry, Vean Gregg. From 1916. Great picture.

Batman and heyabbott like this.
  9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Two managers being announced in the next day or two. David Bell by Reds, Brad Ausmus by Angels.

11. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Ausmus should do better the second time around
    Having Mike Trout doesn't hurt

12. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Angels made it official today with the Ausmus hiring. I'm sure a lot of Tigers fans are snickering at that. Of course, I was snickering when the Mets hired Terry Collins and they went to the World Series with him.

A bunch of people on social media slamming the hire pointing to his tenure in Detroit. And then others point to managers like A.J. Hinch and Terry Francona who didn't do all that well in their first managerial opportunity and excelled later. We'll see on this one.

Draft saved Draft deleted