1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Trump says he's "lost two or three billion dollars since becoming president, but it's worth every penny because I'm doing such a great job."
    He also says only "haters" criticize him for holding a rally in the wake of Michael.

2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I’ve found people in the Midwest WILL bristle if you say something is “problematic” or “mysogonistic” or “racist” or a result of “privelege.”

They are much more willing to listen if the exact same sentiment is expressed a different way. So the problem isn’t the left’s message. It’s the perceived snootiness of it. If you call something unfair, you’re fine. If it’s inequality, that’s like a dogwhistle to them thst you’ve been schooled in LEFT WING COLLEGES.

It’s a stupid shell game we have to play in an era of anti-intellectuallism disguised as populism, but it’s something young activists need to consider.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The correct answer, 9 times out of 10, is that “political correctness” means “don’t go out of your way to be an asshole.”

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Exactly true.

To a lot of folks, PC means "I can't call this group offensive names in public any longer without repercussions."

But I do love how the most vocal anti-PC people I know are also the most vocal anti-kneeling during the anthem people. What's more PC than standing during the anthem?

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The hyena was actually right in 2011. Since then, the Fed has raised their overnight rate 200 basis points -- which is really nothing. It's off of a 0 percent overnight lending rate, but rates are still well below historical levels. We're talking about a market that is being price administered by a bunch of clueless technocrats, so there is no way to know for sure exactly where short-term lending rates would be with this economy and real rate of inflation in a market that was being, um, driven by the market and not a couple of czars. But using the Taylor Rule (Google it, if you really care), it should be at least 400 basis points higher than where it sits today (which would crash this phony economy). The overnight rate is still being held very artificially low. Nonetheless, the moron in chief, talking out of the other side of his mouth last night and this morning called the Fed "loco" and said it was "getting too cute." I want to assume he understands what administration of interest rates to artificially low levels does to encourage crappy lending and create credit crises, because as a "businessman" he has been the king of overleveraging and bankrupting himself on the back of reckless Fed "policy" over the last 30 years or so. But listening to him speak, I can't tell if he actually has a clue, or if he's still the same moron, just talking about something else.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You really aren't sure about this? Really!?!

7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

The broken thing about progressive politics is that there is a self-owning competition within the movement to be the "most" progressive.

I had a long argument on Twitter years back about the language used by progressives, and how it can become exclusionary to people who might otherwise be allies, or at least "soft" allies. Any movement needs numbers. Language can include or exclude. Carl Sagan warned scientists not to use language just to prove how smart they were that, at the same time, would turn off their potential audience.

A good example for me is the transition of "gay and lesbian" to LGBT (okay) to LGBTQ (okay?) to, I shit you not, LGBTTIQQ2SA (what the fuck?), which is used by Pride Toronto among other groups. Now, in some quarters (often white, educated), if you use LGBT, you're not woke enough. You're admonished for your lack of understanding, and made to feel bad by the same people who need you as their ally. It's self-destructive.

Why does the right almost always seem to win? Because the right will accept FUCKING NAZIS in their midst so long as they cast the right ballot. I'm not advocating the left take all comers. But it will never prevail when it turns off the middle in an attempt to court and placate the extreme. That's how you get people who won't vote for Hillary because they love Bernie Sanders, and then you end up with fucking Trump.

Iron_chet, Alma, Kato and 7 others like this.
  8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Because for most White and Asian Americans, even between DC and Boston and LA and San Francisco, they work for a living. Everyday. They earn a living. They don’t feel or believe they are privileged to drive a couple of hours each day to work for money. They lack the power and authority to be racist and mysogonistic. They are too busy working and raising a family and living. What the left is most disgusted about, deep down, is not the racism and mysogonism, it’s the irrelevance with which white and Asian working Americans treat blacks, Hispanics and white educated professional rich women. They are irrelevant to their lives. In the abstract most of these Americans just want them to be part of their experience but they just want them to shut up, get a job and get on with their own lives.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Yeah, the left will eat their young over and over.

I love this picture. But you can physically feel how little the blacks here in this picture want the help from well-meaning whites. The sign might as well say, "Fuck you, go home white people"
    [​IMG]

OscarMadison and Stoney like this.
  10. typefitter

Oh my God. I'm presuming they had to make the sign because of white people actually doing things like taking the megaphone. Imagine doing that.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I don't know the particulars.

Can you imagine a sign in any scenario where whites and blacks are working for the same cause and a sign says "rules for blacks"?

If you are helping a cause, and you are told five "DON'T"s right off the bat, lets face it, they don't want you there.

Again, the republicans are the inclusive ones.

OscarMadison and Stoney like this.
  12. typefitter

No, I imagine the black organizers are happy to see white faces in the crowd. They just don't need white people to tell them how to feel about it. I get that. I wouldn't get up at a LGBT rally and talk about how hard it is to be gay, because I'm not gay and have no idea. (I was once pretty active in LGBT politics, but then someone told me "Fuck you, this is our fight," and I was like, Okay!) Any movement needs numbers to be successful, and I imagine the Black Lives Matter movement understands that they need white people on their side. They just don't need white people taking charge for once.

The "rules for blacks" scenario would never happen, because there is no "white person's struggle." What is our burden that we might need a coalition to help us solve? We have to spend too much time at Bed, Bath, and Beyond?

lakefront likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.