1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 NHL thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 2, 2018.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Thanks, Ragu. It's been an up and down weekend because JR and I got married yesterday. We were going to cancel bu
    Thanks to you and to all who expressed condolences. It's been a bitter/sweet Thankgiving weekend as JR and I got married yesterday - in fact, we were in a cab on the way to the airport to fly out to Maple Ridge when we got the news about Noah. We were set to cancel but Noah's mom and dad insisted we go ahead because Noah had been so excited about the wedding.

Family is a gift and I don't think I truly understood that until this weekend.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

We're getting Chicago-Toronto on NBC Washington for some reason tonight. What a game. Tavares with a hat trick. Kane scores twice in the last minute or so. 6-6 going to OT. Much better than the NFL game.

EDIT: Rielly 19 seconds into OT gives Toronto the 7-6 win. Wild.

3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Now we know where @ChrisLong was 25 years ago

4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Yes, I was there in the press box 25 years ago. And I was there last night, too, sitting in the stands. In 1993 I was covering the Kings for half of the season with our Dodgers writer, the late Terry Johnson. He did the first half of the season, I did the second. I was on UCLA football and basketball until Johnson left for spring training, then I took over the Kings, too. For the Oct. 8 inaugural game, it was a Friday night, but the boss felt it was important enough to cover so I was spared doing a high school football game.
    Back then I thought the whole idea of Mighty Ducks of Anaheim was silly, a farce, and it was questionable that they would succeed.
    One thing I remember was at the previous Stanley Cup Final in Montreal, Mark Whicker said he was getting ready to cover Le Gran Canard.

MTM and OscarMadison like this.
  5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I think we're watching Evgeny Kuznetsov go from very good to superstar right in front of our eyes ... his puck control and passing are breathtaking right now. Four point night last night, including two sick passes that led to Ovechkin and Backstrom goals. And he potted one himself for good measure.

7. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

That's a ton of goals in the first three games ...

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

They play Toronto Saturday. That could be a 9-8 game.

9. Justin_Rice

Can we get 9-2, instead?

I'm excited by how they've started the season, but I remember being sour on the Caps at points last year in the regular season ... and we all know how that turned out. I'm going to do my best this year to not get to high or low during the regular season, assuming they maintain a good pace for a reasonable playoff seed.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The defense did look better with Kempny back last night ... but that Toronto team is just a friggin' juggernaut right now. Watch it be a 2-1 game just to fuck with us.

I'm with you on not getting too high or low. I did a fairly good job with that last year save for a few unprofessional efforts during that Nashville/Colorado trip and at Chicago and Columbus in February. Copley's starting tonight in Jersey, so I'm looking forward to seeing how he performs. You going, Moddy?

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Thought about it but would have to juggle my work schedule and there's a show I'm going to tomorrow in the city - so no. Going to watch on TV. They're up this way several times later so I'll keep my goal to see them in every local arena alive.

12. Justin_Rice

Foo Fighters play your town every single night, don't they?

HC likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted