1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football 2018 Week 7 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 8, 2018.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I think you're right for N'western. I liked Nebraska with the big number last week but no way I'd touch them getting under a touchdown.

I'd take Iowa too. The Hoosiers took a lot of energy to Columbus last week and gamely covered, and it's not like they'll come home to a fired-up full house for Iowa.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That's been my go-to move the last two weeks. They've covered the first half spread but not the final number the past three games, and in the last two have fallen victim to a backdoor cover in the last couple of minutes.
    First-half lines aren't usually posted until Thursday or Friday, but Alabama should be an 18-20 point favorite against Missouri. I'm on that like flies on shit. The 28-point number for the game, maybe not. Alabama will win big but Missouri can score enough that I can see the same backdoor scenario playing out again.

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Yup. Was watching Alabama-Arkenpig last week just for the BaMa first half -22. And it hit.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I think I posted this already, but I won a three-team parlay last week by taking Alabama, Washington and Wisconsin all on the first half lines. They covered those, but none of them hit the final spread.
    I'm riding that first-half Bama horse until it croaks, and then I'm probably jumping back on the corpse the next week. The only times I'm staying away is when they play LSU, Auburn and Georgia, and even then I'll go all in on it if the line is in the single digits.

5. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

6. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I got it at 24 and I was sweating when Arkansas made it 28-14. Baa's one defensive stand in that game came at the right time.

Given Saban ripping the defense after last week. I'd be surprised if it wasn't 35-0 at the half this week.

7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Fully agree.

That’s fine to do at the NFL level but he needs to finesse it better.

I’m sure when those players joined Nebraska, all the recruiting tweets in the state were thrilled. Now Frost is treating these guys like garbage. That’s so weak.

8. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Nothing's wrong with the program, nothing's wrong with the coaches, it's the players who are dragging us down. Maybe it's a case of nostalgia goggles, but I doubt those words would ever have crossed Tom Osborne's lips.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

That’s because some of Osborne’s players were probably carrying and would have shot him.

McNuggetsMan likes this.
  10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Not an ounce of sympathy for Loserville. You hire Pitino and Petrino, you reap what you sow.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I can see getting locked into a deal with Pitino, but it's not like anyone else was trying to hire Petrino when Louisville pulled him off the scrap heap.

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Absolutely correct. University-6 has it pretty good.
    They should get the death penalty from the NCAA, but I'm not holding my breath. As Wetzel wrote this week, the death penalty is worthless if it is not applied to a school that pays a player seven weeks after being put on probation and warned, "Don't do it again."

Draft saved Draft deleted