1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 NHL thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 2, 2018.

1. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Just an average listener of the game. Not a Leafs fan by any means, however, I loved reading that. Thank you for sharing.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I just read it. It's not a story I would have read unless I was a Toronto fan. But it's very well done, Elliotte. Good work.

Two quick thoughts, one about how you wrote it, and one about the Tavares situation.

First, you spoke to Tavares' friends and quoted them anonymously. The whole time, I was wondering who they were. Whether they were ex teammates, in particular. I don't know why that stuck out to me. Usually anonymous sources don't bother me, especially when it is about relatively inconsequential stuff like this, but because they were quoted so often, I was thinking about WHO they were and it was gnawing at me.

Second, I believe I had read elsewhere (I can't tell you where) that Garth Snow wanted to trade Tavares at the trade deadline if they couldn't lock him up. And Malkin and Ledecky wouldn't let him. If that is true, I think it vindicates Snow a lot. There is a perception by some people that the owners got played -- even if Tavares didn't have it all worked out at that point. I know it says Snow didn't want to talk, but you couldn't verify anything about that?

Either way, I think the Islanders blew it. And I am not just saying that in hindsight. One of two things had to happen: They either needed to lock him up-- like the minute the deal for the new arena got announced, because that was supposedly the major sticking point about his future. Or they needed to tell him they couldn't take the chance that he was going to walk if he wouldn't commit then, and get what would have been a decent package for a rental at the trade deadline. Instead, they got nothing. I personally don't think any story about his situation should give them a pass for that, and it really doesn't matter how deliberate a person he is. It's a business, and they really bungled it from a business perspective. You can't leave things to chance (I felt the same way about Stamkos, even though it worked out for them).

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

EF -- I think there's some great information in that story. The one thing I'll note is that it was a little jarring when you interjected a couple of things like "what I was hearing" and "as you know by now" into the narrative. Just seemed a bit out of place. I understand your role is to be an insider, but it read weird in the context of the rest of the story. As a fan, though, I really enjoyed reading some of the inside baseball stuff that goes into the courting of a superstar free agent. Enjoyed it.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I don't know how many non-Canadians would have seen this story this week but Noah Trulsen was my nephew. I wanted to share this here because it is overwhelming to see the love that Noah poured out on everyone around him come flowing back to his family – to see them lifted and supported by close friends, coworkers and the entire hockey community. They are inundated with food, offers of help and sincere expressions of sorrow and condolence. Even Noah’s favourite hockey player Kevin Bieksa tweeted condolences to Noah’s friends and family which meant the world to them and especially to Matthew. Matthew, a talented goalie had a game on Friday night which he insisted on playing in his brother’s honour and where both teams on the Ice honoured Noah and his family.

Edited to add that I've just learned that Bieksa took the time to phone my nephew and see how he's doing.

The hockey world is a great place

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    OscarMadison likes this.
  5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That was a horrible story. It was sad to watch, even without knowing you had a personal connection. Even harder knowing your family is suffering. I am sorry for your loss, HC.

OscarMadison and HC like this.
  6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

So sad, so sorry. Bieksa is a quality person. Glad he's trying to help.

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I saw the tweet but did not know the depth of the story....Bieksa is a superb person, who will have a career in TV if he wants it. Very sorry for your family, HC.

8. Elliotte Friedman

I appreciate the comments, thank you.

Ragu,

One of the reasons I quoted anonymously was a few are Islanders. Under Lou Lamoriello, there's no way they would have spoken to me without it. Lou's rules. It just got to the point where I thought it would make it easier for the people who know Tavares to guess the identities if some were protected and some weren't.

As for your second point, I was told one specific person made that point to Malkin. But he was unwilling to talk, so can't confirm it, although I think it is true.

Cosmo, I didn't want to include the "what I was hearing," but did so to make it certain everyone knew that I was attributing it to myself. Didn't like using "I" in this piece, for sure. The "as you know" was an attempt to be folksy. Never had a second thought about it until your point, but it is always good to hear differing ideas.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Same rink I play beer league in, just awful.

HC likes this.
  10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Great informative article. But I find more and more you are pulling the anonymous sources thing but you quick to clarify who it’s not.

If people pay attention to any of the insiders, it’s not hard to decipher in local markets. The national ones are a hair more difficult but 31 thoughts are scattered with what I heard and who I have talked too’s. But when called on it you are quick to say who it wasn’t.

ChrisLong likes this.
  11. Elliotte Friedman

Always good to hear what people are noticing

I am very protective of sources, it is true. people have threatened to have others fired if they figure out who im talking to.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Jesus. I’m so sorry, HC.

HC likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted