1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Celtics Reporter - Boston, Mass.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Boston Celtics Reporter

Description:

MassLive.com, serving 4.1 million monthly unique visitors and a leading digital media property in Massachusetts, is looking for a full-time Boston Celtics reporter.
    The Boston Celtics beat reporter will work closely with MassLive’s sports manager and fellow Celtics reporter to maximize audience growth and community engagement. Specifically, the reporter will be responsible for all aspects of original reporting and packaging digital content: writing, editing, as well as shooting photos & video. In addition, the reporter will be expected to maintain a consistent presence in the community, both in person and on major social media channels such as Facebook and Twitter. You will lead discussions with the audience, answer questions, respond to comments, engage with social media and represent the company on TV or radio.

Job requirements also include:

*A Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications or a related field, or equivalent experience

*1-2 years of journalism experience with a proven ability in breaking news of significance
    *Ability to write iteratively and often;
    *Proven ability to report, write clean copy and copy edit (AP style);
    *Solid understanding of news writing, journalistic standards and story structure;
    *Ability to aggregate from credible sources;
    *Ability to work under deadline pressure and prioritize tasks appropriately;
    *Experience with SEO best practices;
    *Comfort level producing multimedia including digital photography and video;
    *Willingness to consistently engage audience on social media and MassLive comment streams;
    *Ability to work independently and remotely, while maintaining operational communication with editor.
    *Exceptional writing skills and familiarity with AP Style;
    *Proficiency in MS Office Suite;
    *Experience in Movable Type or equivalent blogging software;
    *Early adopter of new technologies, new processes and best practices for creating and maintaining digital content to grow audience;
    *Results driven, with experience in a deadline-oriented environment;
    *Excellent organizational and critical thinking skills; and
    *Ability to work a flexible schedule, including nights, holidays, and weekends.

MassLive.com is the number one news and information web site for Western Massachusetts and provides an essential 24/7 news, information and social interaction network. As an organization we aim to inform, engage and entertain, as well as promote active participation in the exchange of news and ideas because knowledge improves people's lives. We embrace new ideas and innovation.

MassLive.com is a part of Advance Local, one of the largest media groups in the United States, which operates the leading news and information companies in more than 25 cities, reaching 50+ million people monthly with our quality, real-time journalism and community engagement. Our company is built upon the values of Integrity, Collaboration, Accountability, Fearlessness, and Customer Focus. For more information about Advance Local, please visit www.advancelocal.com.

Advance Local is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, physical or mental impairment, sexual orientation, marital status or any other category protected under federal, state or local law.

2. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

The last person to have this job stayed all of four months.

3. October Jones

October Jones New Member

Hey all. I haven't been here in a while. I used to be Jim Tom Pinch, but I can't seem to get back into that account so I created a new one. Tweener is right that that last person in the job stayed four months, but he left for a good job that I believe he was recruited for. The parting was amicable on both sides so I wouldn't treat that as a red flag. MassLive is a good crew and a pretty fun place to work. I'm not involved in the hiring process so I can't help you get the job. But if you're interested, I'm knowledgable about it. If you have questions, feel free to reach out.

Tweener likes this.
  4. SportsWriter23

SportsWriter23 New Member

Anyone know where they’re at with this - has a hiring been made or have interviews started? Regular season begins in less than 2 weeks.

5. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

They just posted the job 8 days ago

Draft saved Draft deleted