1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2018 regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Hard to believe they're only four years removed from a division title and ALCS appearance, and two removed from a wild card.
    Weird decade for them. They went from six straight 90-loss seasons, to three playoff appearances in five years, and back to a 115-loss season. Teams always wax and wane, but that's a wild swing in 12 years.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Molitor out in Minnesota:

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Even was given a three-year extension after last season.

But the Twins hired a new brain trust after Molitor was hired. They sure couldn't fire him after last season. But now?

I could see Sandy Alomar being a hot candidate. Both Twins and Jays are run by former Indians execs.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

THey got lucky in a bunch of ways, maybe because both the Yankees and Red Sox were in a down cycle.

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Someone said to me he thinks a team will see if A-Rod wants to manage. Would he?

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I think he'd love to manage, but I believe he'd be an all-time great coach (if there is such a thing). You can see it in his broadcasting and everything you've ever read about him. The guy is a natural-born coach. He LOVES talking about hitting and when you see him demonstrate his points, you think he could make Greg Bird into Babe Ruth.

That said, I don't think he connects well enough with humans (whether it's players or front office or media) to be effective as a manager. He'll make millions as a broadcaster for far less work and scrutiny, and I think, ultimately, that's better for him.

John B. Foster likes this.
  7. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

8. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

It's interesting how some great players make great coaches—Larry Bird, say—but some just can't make the transition. I'm thinking Wayne Gretzky, for instance. I think he knew the game in a way that made it hard for lesser talents to follow him. I feel like A-Rod has the baseball intellect; I just don't know that he has the personality for it.

bigpern23 likes this.
  9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Ted Williams and Ty Cobb are two prominent baseball examples of superstar players who were just OK managers. Pete Rose was a decent manager, but he had a huge blind spot when it came to putting himself in the lineup over clearly better players (hello, Nick Esasky) while trying to break Cobb’s hits record.

Not counting pre-1950 player-managers, the best examples of great players who became great managers were probably Joe Torre and Red Schoendienst. Most of the other top managers of the modern era have been back-up catchers (Bochy, Leyland, Maddon, Girardi) and utility infielders (Cox, LaRussa, Weaver, Anderson, Martin).

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Duquette and Showalter gone from the Orioles.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.