1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

san diego trip -- advice needed

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2underpar, May 12, 2011.

1. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

We have family in San Diego and when we went in 2007 they said don't even think about Tijuana. It is very sketchy, to be kind.

They also suggested Old Town Mexican Cafe for dinner and that was very good and I'm not a big fan of Mexican food.

I second (third, fourth) the suggestion of the zoo over Sea World. Much better value for the money.

We were up at the Point Loma Lighthouse at Cabrillo when a carrier group was pulling out. That was way cool, especially after seeing Midway.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Cross "go to Mexico" off the bucket list. That's about the only reason.

State Department has an advisory out telling Americans to stay away from Mexico.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Just go to way out east to El Centro, or south to Chula Vista, squint, and pretend you're in Mexico.

The waits to cross the border are averaging about 2 hours each way...and TJ is just as dangerous as Monterrey or Juarez.

I repeat my earlier recommendation of happy hour at the rooftop bar at the Marriott. Best view in town, especially if you're a transportation geek like me (planes, trains, boats, subs, helicopters, everything all the time in view from your seat. And the ladies are mighty fine.)

4. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

i wasn't planning on crossing the border. I have an aunt that has lived in Mazatlan for 40 years and I've never been to visit her.
    thanks for all the suggestions, folks.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I know San Diego very well. Here are my suggestions:

1. Hiking Torrey Pines, as others have said.

2. If you're there August and September (and maybe July, check) you can snorkle with the leopard sharks at La Jolla Shores. It's pretty cool. Leopard sharks are harmless, but they come right up near the shore in the summer and you can get real close to them.

3. Favorite beaches: La Jolla Shores, Coronado behind Hotel Del. If you have a dog, there's a dog beach in Del Mar that's really fun.

4. Breakfast: El Indio has great breakfast burritos. Swami's Cafe in Encinitas is good.

5. Quick meals: In-N-Out, of course. El Indio. Burger Lounge. Wahoo's Fish Tacos. Pizza Port in Solana Beach has great pizza and great beer. Go to about any hole-in-the-wall Mexican joint and eat a California Burrito.

6. Fancy meals: Flemings Steakhouse in La Jolla. Chart House in Cardiff. George's at the Cove in La Jolla. Just about any Italian place in Little Italy. There's a little-known Italian place in Hillcrest called Charisma that I love. If you want an amazing dessert, there's a place called Extraordinary Desserts downtown.

7. Adult attractions: Balboa Park has several. Walk around the La Jolla Cove area as others have said. There's a music venue near Little Italy called Anthology that I love.

8. Kid attractions: Kids ages 6-12 love Legoland in Carlsbad. The zoo is awesome. Sea World is awesome. Disneyland is 90 minutes north. Mostly, though, kids from inland areas love the beach, no matter how cold the water is (and it is).

San Diego is a million times better than Tijuana. Don't even bother going to Mexico, it's a waste of great time you could be spending in S.D.

6. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I second and third the Marriott Gaslamp. Stayed there for a conference 2 years ago. Absolutely enjoyed my stay there.

I wasn't totally impressed with Old Town. Seemed like a tourist trap -- at least from a shopping perspective -- but the restaurants were decent there. Wish I spent more time at Coronado, too.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

To cross into Canada over land, you need an enhanced drivers license or a passport.

I'd guess it's the same way for Mexico.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Don't go to TJ. It's a slum and to just say you've been to Mexico with all the shit going on down there, it's not worth it.

Pretty sure you do need a passport now to cross the border.

9. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I also love San Diego and I'd move there in a heartbeat.

I like the whole seaport village area. That Marriott there is one of my favorites. It's touristy, but still cool. Sea World and the zoo are good. Petco Park also very nice.

I would not go to Tijuana.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If you go to Coronado sometimes The SEALS train in public beach area in front of The Del. Very cool to watch them landing their rubber boats on the rocks. I was there when a team was in middle of "Hell Week". Had to be tough to train while looking out at bikini's and beach goers sucking down cold beer.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Bump.

Wife has a conference there in March, and I’ll likely tag along for a few days.

Any new/updates recommendations? She’s staying at some fancy (and expensive) new hotel that’s still being built, I believe. When I come out to join her, we’ll probably stay somewhere cheaper.

Whatcha got?

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Torrey Pines for golf;

La Jolla for beaches; Or Pacific Beach;

Even without kids, the San Diego Zoo is tremendous; fresh air, beautiful setting, good walking.

Draft saved Draft deleted