1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best American Sports Writing 2018, Jeff Pearlman guest editor

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Songbird, Dec 29, 2017.

1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

If I had a nickel for all the “editors” who don’t edit...

2. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Magazines often call writers "contributing editors." I was one once. I can't edit for shit. I have no idea why they do that.

3. SnarkShark

It is quite nonsensical. I am an “editor” who edits (even though I also report), and I definitely know “why they do that.” It’s because “editor” carries stature and authority. It’s a title. People like titles.

4. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

"Contributing writer" is also a title. And it's one that makes more sense to me.

5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Damn, I have friends who (back in the day) continually introduced me to others as "the sports editor ..." etc. I always have to add the addendum, "I'm an editor, meaning I edit; not that I'm the boss."

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  6. SnarkShark

“Contributing writer” sounds like “stringer” to me.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Yeah. It's pretty squishy.

But unlike a stringer, who gets hired mostly one assignment at a time, a "contributor" or "senior contributor" or "special contributor" usually has a contract deal with the magazine and a place on the masthead. Either for some number of pieces during the year, or some number of words to be written, and some agreed upon fee paid out in 12 installments. It's a freelance contract with a steady income but no benefits. "Writers" or "Senior writers," more often than not, are full-time employees with salaries and benefits.

Draft saved Draft deleted