1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I guess you're all right about me

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I don't know because we were not provided very much detail. They were hanging out for an hour or more.
    We were provided just enough info to generate 'He's an #asshole' responses and validate SP.
    SP has received much more validation than seems to have been provided to the former close friend who HAD cancer.

When did he have cancer? How long has he been cancer free?
    What was the status of the cancer? Prostate cancer, when contained, has a very high survival rate, but prostate cancer that has spread has a 5 year cancer-free rate of 30%.
    And the 10 year rate is even lower.

You are all rallying to validate SP and pretending that you would not provide any decent, normal, civil interaction with the former close friend.
    Let alone how you might feel if you were the one who HAD cancer, reached out to a former close friend, possibly because you specifically needed to talk to someone, and were ignored.

Everyone loves to jump in with F#CK Cancer! posts as if that makes one some kind of deep-feeling keyboard crusader.
    Now, when presented with an anecdote like this, everyone says 'F#ck that guy! What a wuss. Why does he have to babble about his cancer experience? He survived, so far. Shut up and watch the fight.'

cjericho likes this.
  2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I've never been a f*ck cancer!!1! guy. Maybe those people are staying away from this thread.

Listen, I take EVERYTHING SP writes with a grain of salt. To me he is a highly entertaining, cartoon-like character, who has found himself in some almost unbelievable situations over the years. He is a great addition to this board.

If we are going to be honest, I don't think this SP/Cancer Guy relationship was ever functional, in the normal sense of male friendship.

In normal male friendships:
    • If a guy has cancer, he is going to be talking to his friend somewhere along the line in the process.
    • If the two guys meet at Dave and Busters to watch a fight, one doesn't leave in the middle of it without saying anything, only to text later with 'you were mean to me'-type texts.

So while I stand behind everything I wrote, I don't think that smallpotatoes and the other guy ever had a fully developed male friendship, and it certainly isn't close to functional in 2018.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

SP, what line of work is this guy in? We need to find the message board with the "Check out my asshole (former) friend" thread to get the other side of the story.

Buck, MTM and cjericho like this.
  4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

They could've been elementary school or high school friends who drifted apart. My best friend from middle school was two years older
    and I hadn't seen him for at least 20 years. Ran into him when both of us were visiting our parents and found out he was divorced.
    SP might have had a normal male friendship and they drifted apart.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

SP admitted in his first post he tends to make everything about him.

Being around people like that is fucking exhausting.

I don’t blame the guy for leaving. A cancer survivor knows better than most that life is too short to deal with that kind of shit.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I once watched my great-grandmother pour a pitcher of water over the head of my great-grandfather while he was reading a newspaper just because he wasn't listening. I thought that was an overreaction and for the longest time considered my great-grandmother quite a bitch (or whatever term a seven-year-0ld would conjure in his mind.)

I only later learned decades before he ran off for 20 years to the west coast with a younger woman. He only came back in old age when he was too feeble to take care of himself and the other woman dumped him.

Learned to not judge people's actions in a relationship when I'm not privy to all the information.

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

He used to work for another paper. He's now in technical writing.

8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Don't know if @Smallpotatoes is an asshole, or even telling the truth, but he is a damn cheapskate.

He goes to Dave and Buster's to watch a fight for free. Fight hasn't even started and he's already getting a free refill on his $2 soda. No mention of playing any games. No mention of food. Just freeloading off D&B's free fight offer.

At least pony up for some Skee-Ball, dipshit.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I never said fuck him because he had cancer.
    If I'm going to an overpriced chain bar & grill with a guy to watch a middleweight fight, I would rather not discuss literally life-and-death matters.
    I have been accused of something similar when not bringing up the death of a parent (even though I had sent a card - unacknowledged).
    I did not do so because I didn't want to be asked by a soul about the death of my own.

I agree with the lesson Poindexter said his son taught him. Very good advice.
    I don't believe in venting. If I want to vent I'll do so to my wife, behind closed doors, and not schedule a fucking playdate to do so.
    We're all made differently.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Hahaha.
    Don't they charge a cover when they have ppv events?

12. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

He was probably there hours before the event and sat at the same table.

Draft saved Draft deleted