1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Copy editor/page designer, Charleston (W.Va.) Gazette-Mail

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Derek Redd, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Derek Redd

Derek Redd New Member

The Charleston Gazette-Mail, a Pulitzer Prize-winning newspaper, is looking for a copy editor/page designer to work for its award-winning sports department. The ideal candidate would have previous page design and editing experience and proficiency in Adobe InDesign and Photoshop. Experience in TownNews/BLOX is a plus. Night and weekend hours are necessary. Some responsibilities in curating the sports department's website and posting to social media will be included. Benefits include paid vacation, health insurance and a 401(k). Please send resumes and design samples to HD Media sports director Derek Redd at derek.redd@wvgazettemail.com.

2. Tom_Bragg

Tom_Bragg New Member

This is my old job if anyone has any questions.

3. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Why did you leave?
    How's the pay?
    When were the last layoffs?
    Is there potential for more?
    Is there the possibility for growth?

4. Tom_Bragg

Tom_Bragg New Member

- I'm still at the paper, I was promoted to the WVU beat.
    - Like a lot of places, you're not going to get rich working the desk in Charleston. I don't know exactly what sort of salary they're expecting to go with this job but to be fair I have heard the term "entry level" thrown around.
    - We had one person cut from the department when the paper was recently sold (a few months ago), though it is worth noting we also had two people from sports take jobs elsewhere around the same time and neither were replaced.
    - As far as potential for more or possibility of growth, we have an experienced crew in the sports department and management that, in the short time they have been in charge at least, seems open trying things out as we come up with them. We had some less than great owners and editors high up the chain that are now gone and while I don't have any numbers in front of me, it feels like the paper is turning a corner. On the news side we won a Pulitzer a few years ago and piss off the governor daily. We work hard, but it's a fun place to work.

5. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Great answers. Thanks, Tom.

Draft saved Draft deleted