1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

#MeToo 2

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by QYFW, May 7, 2018.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

This is just weird to me.

Let me stipulate: Norm MacDonald said some pretty stupid shit. His defense of Louis and Roseanne and relative dismissal of their accusers is really dumb.

It's also exactly who Norm MacDonald is. He's an offbeat guy with weird takes on things delivered in a deadpan that sometimes makes them funny. He's a comedian. It's his schtick, but ultimately I think it's just who he is. I suspect anyone who was surprised by his comments is somehow completely unfamiliar with his work.

So, he loses a spot on the Tonight Show because he seems overly sympathetic to friends who don't deserve it? I'm struggling with that.

(And to be fair, from what I've seen of the Chris Hardwick thing, I'm not at all sure he didn't get the blunt end of the stick.)

2. The part that got me was "Senior Staffers were in tears" when they learned of MacDonald's scheduled appearance?

In tears?

Who are these people?

SpeedTchr likes this.
  3. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I can't watch the video now, but if she objected, he's wrong. Even if she somehow "used her sexuality," that does not give him the right to touch, hug, perv, harass, assault or rape her.

Unless I am misreading your post, and I apologize if that is the case, your point seems to be right in line with those who claim a woman was asking to be sexually harassed, assaulted or raped because she dressed sexy or flirted. That simply is not correct.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Threats and Deception: Why CBS’s Board Turned Against Leslie Moonves

In May, the board made a momentous decision to file a lawsuit seeking to dilute Ms. Redstone’s voting power and block a proposed merger of CBS and Viacom. Some board members were reassured by Mr. Moonves’s willingness to file the suit. Surely, they reasoned, he wouldn’t do so if there were skeletons in his closet about to be bared.

Jesus, the shit these guys tell themselves. Yeah, Moonves was totally on the up-and-up there and wouldn't have been doing it based on their years of successful bullying and rage in their little fiefdoms.

6. Just the facts ma am

No, he did not have the right to do that. But why didn't she slap him in his face after the first lecherous hug? Why did she allow him to stroke her without pushing his arm away? Because she was selling him something. I get the power dynamic and why women don't come forward. But he and others got away with it for so long because everyone went along to get along. I'm glad times have changed but they should have changed along time ago.

7. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

These guys really are like the evil corporate types portrayed in movies.

From the same story:

“I don’t care if 30 more women come forward and allege this kind of stuff,” Mr. Kopelson said in a meeting soon after the conference call. “Les is our leader and it wouldn’t change my opinion of him.”

8. outofplace

This is absolute bullshit. It's victim blaming. Thinking like this is the real reason this shit has gone on for so long.

9. Just the facts ma am

Disagree. For years and years women did not speak about this. This allowed it to continue. When a few finally had the courage to do so, a bunch of them said, me too.

The first time a gay guy would have put his hand on my thigh when I was interviewing for an entertainment gig, I would have punched him in his face.

10. outofplace

I get that you disagree. That is what makes you part of the problem. Women have spoken up in the past and society didn't change. Men have to change their behavior. Weinstein is the guilty party. Period. End of story. The rest is victim-blaming idiocy.

When a woman dresses in a way that makes her look sexy, it is not an invitation to sexually harass or assault her. It is not an invitation to rape her. Even if she flirts a little or doesn't fight hard enough at first, it still doesn't justify sexual harassment, assault or rape.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The very definition of Internet Tough Guy.

This happened, or something very close to it, to certified tough guy Terry Crews. He didn't haul off and punch the guy. Almost no one in similar situations do. You most likely would be no different.

12. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Because we live in a world that was built by and for white heterosexual men. Women have been socialized very differently from men and their silence was part of that. I'm glad that women are speaking up and being believe because that was NOT the case before.

Draft saved Draft deleted