1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gas explosions in Massachusetts

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yikes.

We had one of these in the Bay Area a number of years back. Eight people died. It led to an investigation that discovered decades of neglect from the utility company, which instead had been pocketing the maintenance money that was built into the rates. The corporation (but no people) was convicted of felonies. The executives got off because they bribed the hell out of the Public Utilities Commission.

3. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Don't despair, folks: Infrastructure Week is right after the Hurricane Florence mop-up.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

So is it possible that one screw-up by a replacement worker (a guy whose VORP or WAR is negative) caused all the explosions? Kind of like a power grid?

7. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

Nothing to see here folks. No need for costly government regulations or oversight. Move along. Please disperse.

8. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

While Infrastructure Week has become an enjoyable meme, it really does need to be a priority. Gas lines, electrical grids, roads and bridges, all antiquated and falling apart.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't think gas lines are in the government sphere. As I noted from the Bay Area case, it was all about corporate neglect.

The bridge collapse in Minnesota was government failure. I'll be surprised if this is.

10. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Gas lines and corporate neglect are a scary combination.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I just can't figure out how dozens of homes have a leak at once. Did the utility company increase the pressure it was sending down the line?

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

My clients install those types of pipelines, no way its a screw up by one worker. This is a systemic problem caused by poor work in 20 different locations at different times by different people (poor welds) or poor maintenance of those gas lines.

Draft saved Draft deleted