1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN Cancels Barstool Show

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

I love Barstool. It is authentic, funny and refreshingly honest.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I like Lights, Camera, Barstool

3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Barstool Sports-Sam Ponder Feud Cranks Up to Whole New Level

A quotation from Portnoy's post on the subject taken to discuss a tangential point:
    This claim makes the Barstool fans seem like those trolls in Gamergate and all those Alt-Right campaigns against various pop culture phenomena. I cannot imagine self identifying as a 'Stoolie' and being expected and and happy to accept marching orders from Dave Portnoy or any other person in a similar position.

[Edited to give context to quotation.]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Reading Ponder’s answer I got the impression it was sarcasm. Maybe I’m off.

Who’d want to go on a show and talk about some vile thing said about her?

The way I read it was: Yeah I’ll go on the show and humiliate them.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

"the very audience that ESPN needs so desperately." LMAO. ESPN doesn't need those perpetual frat bro fuckers any more than ESPN needed the 2,000 people who made up all of Deadspin's active commentary and yet thought they were so indispensable to the world. The delusions of grandeur are comical.

But yeah, they're doing great and the host of Sunday NFL Countdown is watching her career go in the toilet. Uh-huh.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

7. LongTimeListener

Going back a ways here, apologies . . .

I gave these two a try based on this post. It wasn't my thing, no problem, I'm too old for it anyway. However . . .

Based on their participation in this one, it's clear they are willing, gleeful participants in the woman-hate that makes the empire go.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

9. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 6.07.42 PM.png
    My mom in 1987 wants her coat back.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Smallpotatoes' fights with online trolls, real and imagined, are more entertaining.

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I remain conflicted about all this. I like PFT, who is really funny. I wouldn't care if Portnoy was run over by a truck.

How much are you responsible, as an employee, for the actions of your employers? I think if Ponder didn't actually respond to their attempts to apologize or explain, and claim that she did, then that's fair to say. I think Portnoy taking it to another level is gross and sometimes I'd like to punch him.

There are a lot of times I think Deadspin is right on. There are a lot of times I think they're total hypocrites. Doest Greenwell taking over as the EIC wash away all their sins? Do they get to just ignore the fact that four of their people showed up on the Shitty Media Men list?

I stopped listening to Pardon My Take because I didn't want to support a brand that harassed women on-line. I really wish PFT and Big Cat would go independent and just keep all the money from their pod instead of giving any of it to Portnoy or any of those other Massholes. But alas, perhaps I give them too much credit.

12. LongTimeListener

I agree for the most part. What turned me about this one was their willing participation. It seemed like a turning point from being under the same umbrella to actively being part of the problem.

Draft saved Draft deleted