1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter - Aberdeen, SD

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Cuyler Meade, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Cuyler Meade

Cuyler Meade New Member

Come join our team in the surprisingly vibrant sports community of Northeast South Dakota.

The Aberdeen American News is a daily Schurz-owned newspaper and website with a large, energetic newsroom featuring a four-person sports staff. We cover a dynamic Division II school, a spunky NAIA school and a ton of preps, plus more local sports.

The sports department is undergoing a leadership transition, as our previous editor is headed to a big job in Phoenix and the new editor (me, incidentally) is being promoted from within. This means there's room for creativity and redefining of coverage plans. The ideal candidate will have both a passion for print storytelling and a talent for digital -- including on-camera -- audience engagement.

This is an admittedly remote outpost, but we've got great sports and a great community to serve. It's a perfect place for a young, dynamic, digital-native journalist coming out of school looking for a great environment to grow in, but it's also a great job for a vet reporter looking for a daily to step up to or an exciting change of scenery. Coaching, workshopping and mutual talent development is a high priority.

Link to apply is here: JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Sports reporter wanted

I'm the new sports editor. Email me with any questions or feel free to post here and I'll get back to you. If you're applying, don't hesitate to drop me a note. I'm at cmeade@aberdeennews.com.

2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

A four-man sports staff? Dang. What’s your circulation?

3. Cuyler Meade

Cuyler Meade New Member

It's not huge! We're in that 10-20 range, but we've got a very dedicated, widespread readership with a ton of sports to cover.

Draft saved Draft deleted