1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best SportsCenter anchor ever?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I've been watching SportsCenter for about 35 years and seen just about every anchor at some point. Some I've always liked very much and others left me wanting more but they never really bugged me.

Neil Everett eats at my last fucking nerve. He used to be good, humorous, enjoyable to watch but his shtick is now the worst. Stop fucking screaming about the goddamn fucking bartender on every other highlight. It makes Peyton's Nationwide shtick seem funny.

Anyway. Would be interesting to see one of the sports sites put together a 64-anchor bracket to see who is generally regarded as the best SportsCenter anchor ever. "Feel-Good Edition" Kilborn is probably one of the Final 4.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I'm going to be very specific. Charley Steiner when he started laughing and couldn't stop and started tugging at his ear was the best Sportscenter anchor.

expendable and Joe Williams like this.
  3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Early Berman was enjoyable, I'll always have those memories when ESPN was the little engine that could.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Keith/Dan
    Craig/Karl (feel-good)

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Individual: Keith Olbermann
    Duo: Olbermann/Dan Patrick

qtlaw, Neutral Corner and heyabbott like this.
  6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

K.O. singular

The Big Show will never be topped.

heyabbott likes this.
  7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Patrick / Olbermann in the early 90s will never be beaten.

Craig Kilborn in the mid 90s was glib and funny. Like Olbermann, it's easy to forget b/c of where his career went afterward.

I always thought Kenny Mayne had a good vibe.

And I was always a fan of Rich Eisen. Not so much Stu Scott.

heyabbott likes this.
  8. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

YUP.

9. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Agreed with everyone on KO/DP. They're the No. 1 tandem and it isn't close.

Neil Everett and Kenny Mayne strike the same note for me. They were awesome for a time, then they got too far down the rabbit hole and became stuck in their shtick. Same with Stuart Scott, who was dynamic in the 90s.

10. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Everyone in the early days of the 80s and 90s.

Mees, Berman, Ley, Steiner... they all brought their own style to each Sportscenter.

But Patrick and KO are the GOATS. Each had such great timing. How hold do you have to be to remember The Big Show? 40? 35?

11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I’m 34 and remember it vividly.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm hard-pressed to think of a bad SC anchor (among the regulars) in the show's heyday, because the show itself was still a novelty. It's remarkable how irrelevant it is now and there's not any anchor that could change that. I guess Van Pelt's night show does OK, but I'm sure the viewership is largely people that would be watching anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted