1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Reddy235

Reddy235 Member

Hiring David Aldridge to be just an editor is a dumb move. He would have brought more value as a writer/reporter. He’s the only one of the DC cut-and-paste site model to have even the slightest bit of name recognition, although he was surpassed by Woj long ago as a news breaker. I suspect that’s one reason why he wants out of the NBA reporting game. Now he can sit back and collect a nice check for reading over the stories of his no-name staff, thanks to the tech bros writing the checks

2. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

3. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

I'll be surprised if all Aldridge does is edit. I expect he will weigh in on all D.C.-area sports as he deems fit. Tim Kawakami is the editor the Bay Area Athletic site and he writes all the time. Jason Lloyd is the editor of the Ohio site, and he writes all the time, too. The Washington site also hired Greg Lee as an editor who will probably handle a lot of the day-to-day editing/planning, allowing Aldridge to write and be the face of the Washington site.

4. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Aldridge said in his piece he’s going to be writing. But the dude on this thread rooting for it to fail didn’t bother to present that.

I really don’t understand anyone who’s against The Athletic. Nobody knows for sure if it will work in the long run. But there’s a helluva lot of great content and jobs for journalists.

I’m all for that.

5. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I would say with confidence that few NFL beat writers are making $100,000 a year unless it's New York or L.A. And then, just maybe.

6. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I believe that's a courtesy title. He'll be a writer with some say-so about what people do.

7. Reddy235

Reddy235 Member

Except when the people who run the place openly take glee at the plight of newspapers - where almost everyone on the Athletic staff came from. Then, that makes them assholes, easy to root against

8. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

One person said that and apologized for it. The people who work there aren’t rooting for others to fail. Nobody is “taking glee.”

You clearly have another motive. Sorry you didn’t get the job.

Rooting for this to fail is rooting against sports journalism.

The idea of it is making other outlets step up their games. That’s good for the business as a whole.

Rising tides, all boats, etc.

Sorry to put a damper on your obsessive anger. Carry on.

Seth1710, Slacker, MNgremlin and 2 others like this.
  9. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I disagree. Never forget the pieces of garbage at the top of these newspapers nowadays. We really should root for The Athletic even though their suits 'may' also be evil. Look, newspapers are run by greedy people who care not one iota about reporters and copy editors. Not one iota. Newspapers have overworked their staffs for many years now. The Athletic is REDUCING the workload and paying well. Kudos to them.

cake in the rain likes this.
  10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Anyone know how the health coverage works? Are employees on the hook for their own? Does it come out of the $70k? Is there a 401k? Are travel and other expenses covered?

11. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Asking the right questions. It's one thing to pay well. It's another to cheap out on perks and benefits.

12. Texastouch23

Texastouch23 New Member

You’re dead wrong. Speaking from experience.

Draft saved Draft deleted