1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cuts coming to McClatchy papers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoloFlyer, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

It's weird. Nobody talks about it much, but snowmobiles were the real downfall of newspapers.

Doc Holliday and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

There's little to no wiggle room in sports. And they just filled an opening on the 49ers beat when Matt Barrows joined The Athletic.

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

McClatchey reported 122,400 electronic only subscribers at the end of the second quarter. Spread across 29 papers that is 4,200 electronic subscribers a paper. McClatchey is not going to abandon print.

If I was the newly hired 49'ers beat reporter at the Bee I would sign very short term leases and not buy property. I am not joking.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    HanSenSE and Fredrick like this.
  4. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Remember, Frederick, stick to your narrative. Don't change it up mid-sentence. Fixed this one for you.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm always curious about the timing of several chains cutting staff. Late August seems to be an odd time. Figure if you do it in June you're cutting before the start of the fiscal year and you likely have interns coming in who can pick up the slack. September seems like a time you'd be staffing up for the start of a school year and fill positions that you've left dark over the summer. Then you cut again in December once all the Holiday advertising is booked.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

A sad-but-true reality of today's newspaper biz: At many shops, there isn't a big increase in ROP ads for the holidays anymore. If there is, it's with inserts, stickers, spadia, etc. Anything but ads in the daily paper.

7. LanceyHoward

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Now up, Idaho Statesman:

9. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

If the Idaho Statesman doesn't have a sports editor, who decides what is covered and makes work schedules?

10. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

This has happened at some Gannett locations, too. I believe there were some job postings for positions like sports editor/night news production editor. That sort of thing ....

11. LanceyHoward

What teams does the Statesman staff? Do they travel with anyone other than BSU? Do they travel with BSU?

12. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

They do travel with Boise State. Go everywhere with football and were going to most, if not all, men’s basketball games.

Draft saved Draft deleted