1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cuts coming to McClatchy papers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoloFlyer, Aug 21, 2018.

1. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

How sad is it that I saw this thread and just assumed it was an old one that had been freshened up?

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

You are not alone in that thought.
    Should this be folded into the other McClatchy cuts thread? Mods??

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I first read it as "cults" - probably would have been better news.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

With a cult, at least you know you're wanted.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Seven deskers from the consolidated Publishing Center leaving. You could see it coming with a recent reduction in page counts.

7. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Well played.

Batman likes this.
  8. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

"Consolidated Publishing Center ... The WAVE of the Future!" *

* YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY. THIS OFFER MAY EXPIRE WITHOUT NOTICE AT ANY TIME.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I wonder if they bought Gannett's "Information Center" concept and just renamed it.

10. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Heard a few names from the local papers tonight. None in sports that I know of, but several news veterans. Makes me wonder why I still subscribe.

11. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I heard Sacramento made big cuts. Hard to believe there's anything yet. But they keep creating new layers of thirtysomething executives to save them.

12. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

It seems to me this chain is the one that might eliminate the print product entirely. All you hear about with this chain are cuts. At least Gatehouse continues to purchase newspapers then cut half the staffs. This chain, like Fran said, seems to just lay out millions of dollars to the top suits and every 3 months cut 10-15 people from all their properties. These 30-s0mething executives are not the answer, McClatchy. What the frick does a 30-something with no background in news or advertising know about making $$$ for news organizations? Answer? Nothing. Fredrick isn't an expert on this chain or Gatehouse but I read a lot and don't really understand McClatchey's mission. All hail the executive suits and the 30-something saviors of journalism who make all the money. Meanwhile, misery for the properties. Any experts on Gatehouse and McClatchey out there? This kind of stuff is interesting albeit depressing. How does one get to be a suit anyway? These people are causing the end of newspapers yet they are buying boats and snowmobiles and private jets at rapid rates.

Draft saved Draft deleted