1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moviepass - Get One

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I got an update email from MoviePass. Under the new plan:
    - it's $9.99 to see "up to" three movies a month, and we'll get "up to a" $5 discount on additional tickets purchased.
    - the new plan will include "many major studio first-run films" but there will be some exceptions. Theaters with e-ticketing will have no movie or showtime restrictions
    - no more peak pricing

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Stock price is down to 4 cents. I may buy $100 and treat it like a lottery ticket.

5. ICanRowCanoe?

ICanRowCanoe? Member

I actually had the same thought.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm disappointed it is failing so miserably, despite that the fact that it was always destined to do so. As someone else said, this business model was pretty much destined for failure by a third party. The only way it was viable is if they were really able to monetize the data collected from each user. It sounds as if they were not able to do so.

That said, my local car wash now has a monthly subscription plan (unlimited washes for 19.95/mo). It seems a natural fit that theater chains will eventually offer the subscription model. Even better, if they do it via an app, they can profit off the user data - popcorn and demographics!

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Cinemark I know is doing this. $8.95/mo gets you a movie ticket and 20 percent off concessions plus you can add tickets for $8.95. I've been super tempted to do this because I hit up the theater enough, just haven't pulled the trigger. And it has a phone app.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

9. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

The nice thing with this as opposed to the AMC one is that the tickets carry over month to month and don't expire. So you can choose to save it if you're going to a matinee and use it on a date night the next month so you get your money's worth. And in the late summer/earlyfall when there aren't as many big movies out, you don't have to go see something to feel like you're getting your money's worth. You can wait until November and go see the next run of blockbusters. We've got two saved up now, and thanks to school stuff, we probably won't have much time for movies until October or November, so we'll have four or five by the time the big movies come out in November.

That plus the fact you don't have to pay online surcharges for additional tickets make it more than pay for itself.

10. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I'd buy a really cheap matinee plan that allowed unlimited movies per month as long as you see them before 4 p.m. To me, that's where an unlimited subscription plan would serve the theater best. Getting more people in there to buy concessions during those dead periods.

11. ICanRowCanoe?

ICanRowCanoe? Member

Anyone still hanging on to Movie Pass? I still have mine but I'm planning to switch over to Sinemia within a few days. Haven't used Movie Pass in weeks after regularly using it four to five times a month.

12. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

I still have mind and plan to ride it out until the company bounces back or goes under.

What is Sinemia? Is that a MoviePass knock off?

Draft saved Draft deleted