1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cox selling Palm Beach Post, Austin American-Statesman

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BTExpress, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Undoubtedly more targets for GateHouse. And with a GateHouse-owned paper just down the road in Columbus, it makes geographic sense.

SFIND likes this.
  2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

On a side note, I worked with a guy who turned into a pompous company tool when he went from copy editor to Sunday editor. He now works for the Columbus paper, and I'm ecstatic he landed there because he's a Michigan Wolverines fan.

Fredrick likes this.
  3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Given they just sold Palm Beach and Austin I wonder why they did not sell them to Gatehouse at the same time.

4. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Maybe Cox has TV or radio stations that complement the Ohio papers or the AJC.

5. LanceyHoward

Cox owns WSB television and radio in Atlanta and owns television and radio stations in Dayton. I read the announcement that they planned to sell Austin and Palm Beach (probably earlier in this thread) and it was presented as part of a corprorate strategy to focus on markets where the company had multiple media outlets.

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Shocked I tell you. Shocked.

7. LanceyHoward

How large was the newsroom. Any idea how many positions will be retained?

8. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Every one????? My word.

9. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Wonder if the same thing that happened in Austin happens soon at the Palm Beach Post.

10. LanceyHoward

I think it is a lock a bloodbath occurrs in Palm Beach. The only question will be if the executions are carried out on the same manner.

11. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

You have to figure that. Although the Post probably has more competition (if anyone cares).

12. LanceyHoward

Gatehouse does not. The strategy of management is to pull as much cash as possible out as fast as possible before the presumed death of the property they control.

Draft saved Draft deleted