1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 LLWS Thread (ding, ding)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Aug 12, 2018.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

2. Mwilliams685

Mwilliams685 Active Member

I wish I had this kid’s confidence. I love this video.

3. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

As we watch the Little League World Series - and the various playoffs that lead to the final contenders - consider that these are exploited athletes to an even greater extent than college football players or college basketball players. This kids generate revenue for the "Little League Organizers" and receive nothing but "recognition" for their efforts.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The kids seem really upset to be there.

YankeeFan likes this.
  5. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

And the coaches and those who run the town's Little League make millions?

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Nobody criticizes ESPN more than me ... but saying these kids are exploited worse than college football players is laying it on a little thick.

Our area has produced LLWS teams (including this year), and I can tell you winning the state tournament is a huge thrill for them — without any TV coverage. Don't discount how fun the travel and overall experience is for the kids (and their coaches and families). Regionals and whatever (if anything) comes after is just gravy.

7. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

College football and basketball players are able to monetize their efforts - albeit under the table in most cases. Little League kids cannot do that.

Parents and coaches and local Little Leagues do not make a bundle off the LLWS, but that TV money does go somewhere doesn't it? As one example, someone or some entity has to provide security for the LLWS; anyone here think that is provided gratis?

I have no time for the NCAA. I have said that they are a necessary evil because they are the folks who bring us March Madness every year and that is a great tournament. that one thing makes them tolerable at best. The NCAA is hugely exploitive. I would never argue otherwise.

Nonetheless, the kids playing in the LLWS are similarly being exploited in the sense that their efforts bring $$$ to others and none to themselves.

It is perfectly possible for the NCAA AND the LLWS to be exploitive at the same time.

8. cjericho

You can say amateurs who play in any televised event are being exploited. All Little Leaguers start out with the
    hope of getting to Williamsport. Sure they'd take money, but I'd bet almost all are completely content with playing in Williamsport and
    being on TV. They have a choice. They can play Ripken League or some other league and not be exploited by being on TV. College football
    players at the top level are essentially unpaid minor leaguers for the NFL. If they want to go to the NFL they pretty much have no other choice.
    Pretty sure any sane person would say they're a little more exploited than a kid who plays 5 or 6 games that are shown on TV.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The umps volunteer as well. If all of the money is turned back into the organization - hopefully there is an ongoing endowment for subsidies for kids who can't afford the reg fees, or subsidizing leagues in underserved areas - I have no beef with it. The LLWS was held before it was on TV. If the cameras weren't there, they would still be playing, and probably causing more financial hardship on teams to get to PA. If I have a problem, it is the sponsors using the kids in their promotions, beyond just advertising during the games.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Check out the look of exploitation on the faces of these kids from Staten Island when their buddy finished off a perfect game. When they're 40-year-old cops and welders, it's going to dawn on them what a scam this trip to Williamsport was.

I Should Coco and SpeedTchr like this.
  11. cjericho

Make a bundle? Do they make a dime? Pretty sure they have to pay for their hotel rooms and food.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I like LLWS solely because I know when this is finally over, football starts.
    It's the last sand dune in the summer sports desert.

Draft saved Draft deleted