1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Better racism, less pizza, Papa Johns

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, Jul 12, 2018.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I had a crab cake sandwich and onion rings

2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

No, "Pizza Hut" was the main thrust. Mission accomplished!

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

So you win the Internet for the day, for sure. But I am still OK, even though I can't get the words "Pizza Hut" out of my head. ... cause when we are back in our other place, and the weather cools down from 3,000 degrees Kelvin for good (hopefully at some point), I am going to resume my second career as home-cook pizza-maker extraordinaire. Plus, my breads there should get better too. No more having to do most of my baking here, to bring breads back with us to freeze (which kind of sucks, actually).

Related, but unrelated. ... There is this neighborhood in Brooklyn called Carroll Gardens. Like the neighborhoods around it, it has changed a lot over the last 25 years or so. It's a little isolated, because it only has one (minor) subway line that heads right through it, unlike the two or three neighborhoods to the north that are serviced by almost every subway line coming out of Manhattan. Unlike a lot of neighborhoods, Carroll Gardens is still managing (with a lot of sputtering) to maintain some of its character. Way back, it was a very old school Italian neighborhood. Think numbers rackets, social clubs, guys with pinky rings, etc. But if you kept your head down and were cool with people, minded your business, and didn't borrow money from the wrong people, I believe life there was really nice for the vast majority of people who raised families there. I didn't know the neighborhood when I was younger, so I missed out on that era, but I wish I had gotten to experience it. A lot of people spent their childhoods there and grew up to do great things.

Some of the old stores are still alive and well in that neighborhood, now being run by 3rd and 4th generation. They are dying off slowly, but there are remnants hanging on in a way you are not seeing in a lot of other places in NY (maybe Queens, but I don't know Queens nearly as well).

There is the old pork store still, which is known for really good meats, a bunch of old-school restaurants, a few decent pizza places, and some old specialty food stores and bakeries. I love heading over there, because I feel like New York has lost so much of its character. And this area still has a handful of old, family run stores and restaurants, not rows of Starbucks, Le Pain Quotidiens and assorted chain stores. They exist, but they are still in the minority along the three main streets that run through there.

There are two places in the neighborhood called Caputos (no relation to each other). One has some of the best freshly-made mozzarella cheese you will find in New York. The other is a bakery, and it is 104 years old. Crusty ciabattas, old-school Italian breads (with and without the sesame seeds), olive breads, all kinds of pastries, etc. All baked fresh every morning. And the prices are right out of 1987. The place amazes me. I am on my own tomorrow morning. My plan is to get up and make my way over there. I'll walk the last part of it, through a few different neighborhoods, because I like walking around there. There is a great bench a couple of blocks away from the bakery. My plan is to sit there and drink my coffee, munch on some crusty fresh-baked bread that is right out of heaven, and spend an aimless half hour of my Sunday morning just enjoying one of the little pleasures in life. If the words "Pizza Hut" pop into my head even once during that "me time," I will curse you.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    OscarMadison likes this.
  4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

There's a McDonald's down by the Mobil station. So you could grab a sandwich there. Maybe one of those apple pies.

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Cici’s is better than Pizza Hut ... maybe even that crap they passed off as pizza in the grade school cafeteria.

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Hell, Little Caesars is better than Pizza Hut. Cold Little Caesars is better than Pizza Hut.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm not advocating on behalf of Puzza Hut, but Cici's and Little Caesar are literally like eating garbage

Slacker likes this.
  8. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Oh puhleeeeeeeze. Snob. Cici's actually has some good stuff. Better than that Chicago and NYC crap with the menses and peasant toejam toppings.

9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Carroll Garden is home of the best brewery in the 5 boros -- Other Half.

Your post reminds me of a guy I work with who's in his late 50s. He moved from Brooklyn (think Ft Hamilton) to
    North NJ in the 70s. He went back to his neighborhood a few years ago and was telling me about every building on his
    block. Unlike Carroll Gardens, most have changed. He said when he was a kid, everything you needed was on his
    block - hardware store, pharmacy (pharmacist lived above the store and he said delivered meds to his mom at 1 am),
    deli, bakery, shoe store (repaired and sold), grocery store and a few others that I can't remember.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yeah. I bet that guy can't believe the changes.

I don't want to overstate it. Carroll Gardens has probably changed a ton. It's just the remnants that are still hanging in there make it stand out relative to a lot of other neighborhoods.

I wasn't familiar with that brewery. I just looked. It's kind of borderline Carroll Gardens / Red Hook. The area of Carroll Gardens I am talking about is about a mile north of there, and that mile makes a difference, because it's much more residential. Things change as you get closer to Hamilton Avenue and the BQE. It's more gritty and industrial around there -- always has been.

Red Hook is another neighborhood that has managed to retain a lot of its character, it's just that that part of South Brooklyn has always been a tougher place. I once read a book written by a cop who worked that area in the 70s. He had some stories. As isolated as I said Carroll Gardens is, Red Hook is even more isolated, because no subway really goes there. About a decade ago, real estate values there started to go up, just like everywhere else, but it's a neighborhood that will always be limited in what it can achieve. Just to get there, the best you can do is catch the F train and then find a bus or have a long walk, depending on what part of Red Hook you are heading to. The area of Red Hook along the water is pretty cool. There are restaurants, and a few old warehouses that date from the mid 1800s, including the one they converted into a Fairway. It's a bit gritty, but it's a cool neighborhood, and I have never felt unsafe there. When you get farther inland, there is a massive housing project that you don't want to be wandering through at night. The only reason I sort of know that area is that there is an IKEA in the vicinity, right on the water. The brewery you are talking about is past those projects, on the other side of the BQE, not far from where there is a Lowes. I don't really spend any time around there, but I have driven by it on the BQE, so I have an idea of where you are talking about.

11. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Didn't realize it was that close to Red Hook. Only thing I know about Red Hook is that it is pretty isolated and
    it's here former ECW, WWE wrestler and commentator Taz is from. Been to Other Half a few times, it gets packed
    when the have releases and is kind of a hike from NJ. Luckily have a few buddies who get there more often and usually
    get a few cans from them.

I'll have to ask my buddy what street he grew up on. He's a great guy, loves to talk. I'd love to walk his block
    with him. He moved to rural North NJ as a kid and it's hard to picture him as a city guy.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That you stereotyped a predominantly Italian-American neighborhood, in this manner, on a thread about racism, is glorious.

Draft saved Draft deleted