1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Farewell Urban?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I know this is on the CFB thread but I think it is big enough for its own and so the other stuff doesn't get lost.
    This is pretty damning stuff

No way he survives this, right, assuming it is true? And I see no way it isn't true. McMurphy isn't some trash slinger. His reporting uncovered the abuse that got what's his name (Leavitt?) canned at South Florida.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

He survived having a murderer on his team.

3. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I think he survives it, and that thought disgusts me.

Most Ohio State fans won't care, and the ones on the fence will paint McMurphy as a liar with a vendetta. And #fakenews.

Bronco77 and heyabbott like this.
  4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

When you've got the ex-wife on the record, with texts and photos, how do you call it fake news?

They'll just focus on the last 25 of the 3,400 words of the story: “Zach once told me,” said Courtney, “if he ever got fired and this all comes out: ‘I’ll take everyone at Ohio State down with me.’ ”

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

My initial thought was that there's no way that Ohio State fires Urban Meyer.

But... Ohio State fired Jim Tressel and fired Woody Hayes. And the Meyer allegation certainly seems worse than Tressel.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Based on that story, it should take down Meyer, his wife, the wives of the other assistant coaches and their husbands. Probably won't. But it should.

lakefront likes this.
  7. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I'm shocked. Truly shocked that this would happen.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If the Buckeyes miss out on the playoff and lose to the Michigans, I imagine Ohio State fans will be much less forgiving.
    I realize Smith is the grandson of the guy who gave Meyer his first big break, but bringing him to Ohio State after the stuff in Florida? I don't get it. It says a lot that Meyer is the only coach he'd ever worked for and never risen above receivers coach.

Tweener likes this.
  9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

As I said on the other thread, Meyer will say his wife never told him about it. He'll pull a Roger Clemens and throw his wife under the bus to save himself.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

And if you think a coach's wife wouldn't tell her spouse about something that could hurt the program - you're kidding yourself. Job #1 for a football wife: protect the brand.

11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

"At least this pizza will make me feel better. Always does. Won't judge me. Won't test my moral compass. At least pizza can't shame me. Yep, just a good old piece of...Papa John's. Fuck."

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Those texts don't show Urban Meyer knew about this. They show his wife knew about it and said she would tell Urban. Even in the interview posted above, Courtney Smith says Meyer's wife never came back and said she did tell Urban about it. Just that she would. Brett McMurphy is misrepresenting what the texts say.

I think Urban survives it. But they did fire a coach over players getting free tattoos, so who knows.

Draft saved Draft deleted