1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LA Times moving to El Segundo

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Songbird, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Oh, of course. I remember now. Morning Briefing was a humorous, well-written (usually) quick take on the day's news items. Was there a name for the Simers column that was passed from writer to writer over the years? Or was it just the Page 2 notes column I 'm thinking of, that had been done by other prominent names?

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I'm told my first daily stop is now a police substation and what reporters are left all work from home. Depressing. The latter, not the former.

3. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

If I recall correctly, Simers' column was titled "Page 2". I believe he was the only one to write that column.

4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Somebody will know. Alan Malamud might have had the Page 2 hole after he went from the Herald to the National to the Times. After he died, I don't think there was a regular Page 2 column until Simers.

5. Just the facts ma am

Could be, I never got the Examiner.

LOL, I have National issues in a box next to my water heater in the utility room off the garage. Are they collectable?

I've been reading the Times for many years. They used to have multiple entertaining sports columnists. T.J. was certainly the most entertaining anti-sports-establishment one. Now they have sob sister Plaschke and that Hernandez kid is pretty good too.

6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

My first daily newspaper facility is now a children's museum where my son worked one summer.

8. billchristine

billchristine New Member

An Otis Chandler story:

Years ago, I bumped into an old friend, Danny Galbreath, at the Hialeah race track. I got to know Danny well when I covered the Pirates and he had followed his dad as president of the club. Danny knew that I had joined the Los Angeles Times a year or two before our chance meeting. "Next time you see Otis," he said, "tell him I got my bongo." I was embarrassed for two reasons: I didn't know a bongo from Bambi; and since I seldom went to the office, I didn't expect to meet Otis--ever. But I didn't want to tell Danny that it wasn't true that I lunched with Otis every other week. Pressed, Danny told me the story. Some time back, he and Otis had been big-game hunting for a bongo, a form of antelope. Since neither of them bagged one, they made a side bet that the first of them to get one would have to pay (the size of the bet was not mentioned). So I was the one who was supposed to tell Otis that he owed Danny. I got back to LA, sat down at home, wrote Otis a note and mailed it to the office. I never got a reply, and never saw Danny again. I can't say for sure, but Otis might have been a poor loser. I left the paper more than 20 years later, still never meeting him. I liked horse tracks, he liked auto tracks, so that kind of figured.

britwrit and TigerVols like this.
  9. billchristine

billchristine New Member

Regarding Bryan Curtis' excellent look-back on the Los Angeles Times Sports Department, I was a sports staffer there for 25 years, but only got to the office a couple of times a year. They gave me a desk and a chair when I started, but after a while the chair disappeared, and after a longer while the desk vanished, too. Most of the 60 or so staffers didn't know what I looked like. So one day Kelly Burgess, Bill Dwyre's Girl Friday, got an 8 x 10 of me off my company ID card and posted it on the bulletin board. Several years later, the department was moved to a different floor. "Hey, Kelly, did my mugshot make the move?" "You bet. It's up there, on the new bulletin board."

Hermes and Old Time Hockey like this.
  10. billchristine

billchristine New Member

Randy Harvey took a swipe at the Page 2 column after Malamud.

11. Just the facts ma am

Thanks for the stories, Mr. Christine.

Am I wrong to think that while they have been a few page 2 columnists, TJ was the only one to use "Page 2" as his moniker?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I always thought Mud was on Page 3 for some reason.

That was a great look at the Times sports department, called the World Champion back in the day by Jim Healy.

I worked with the great Mike Davis in San Bernardino before he went to the Times. Awesome dude. Shared many beers, stories and shifts with him. Incredibly gifted writer and editor.

Those were the days.

ChrisLong likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted