1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LA Times moving to El Segundo

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Songbird, Apr 17, 2018.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What's going to happen to the building(s)?

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What happened to the artwork?

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

What happened to the jobs. Oh, wait, they are creating them again.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

You live in Chicago, so what's your theory?

6. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

What happened to your Google?

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I grew up with the Times. Devoured it. From Column One to Murray, Mud and Plaschke.

Bring back Morning Briefing.

MTM and Old Time Hockey like this.
  8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I am n
    According to Wikipedia the space is underutilized. THe developer who bought the buildings wants to add a 37 story and a 53 story building.

When Tribune Broadcasting spun off Tribune Publishing they kept the real estate in LA and sold it to a developer. The TImes no longer controlled the real estate and had to move.

The same thing has evidently happened to Tribune Tower, which is being converted to condos, according to Wikipedia.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The Boston Herald building where I worked for 20 years is now condos and a Whole Foods on the ground floor. It weirds me out to drive past, but even back in the '80s we all knew the land was far more valuable than the paper.

10. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Morning Briefing was great -- Was T.J. Simers the last writer of that feature?

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

My first stop is now a restaurant but the owners haven't taken down the paper's signage over one of the doorways. When I came back and we were in a new location, having people come to the office was tricky because some would think we were at the restaurant because of that sign.

12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

No. He had his own column. Morning Briefing was a compilation, mostly wire stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted