1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Die Hard at 30: how it remains the quintessential American action movie

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by justgladtobehere, Jul 12, 2018.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Where was the quote from Asst. Chief Dwayne T. Johnson - "I cannot confirm or deny anything at this point due to the nature of the ongoing investigation."

As for the original question - it might be 1A box below the fold: "At press time, police were responding to a shooting incident in Century City. For updates see www.latimes.com."

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Party was held in the office building, probably began around 6 p.m. Once you hear about the body landing on Sgt. Al Powell's cruiser over the police scanner, you're holding off deadline as long as you can to get the story into the next day's paper.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I suck. It was Dwayne T. Robinson.

As for time, McClain arrives at Nakatomi after Sunset, which is about a quarter to 5 in LA on Dec. 24th. The basketball game threw me off, figured they were watching the Lakers at home which would make Powell's arrival at Nakatomi around 8 p.m.
    I still think most presses are rolling on Christmas eve by 8 p.m..

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

But where does "The Client" rate? So much greatness in that one.

5. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Went on a double date before we could drive. Set of parents dropped us off at the multi-plex.

The girls wanted to see Who Framed Roger Rabbit (a great flick).

As teenage jerks, we pushed for getting in to see the R-rated Die Hard.

The young ladies disagreed. So they went to Roger Rabbit and me and my buddy, at 14, saw Die Hard.

We still dated the young ladies until college.

I regret nothing.

Seeing Die Hard in the theater with my best friend was a moment I cherish. Thankfully our girlfriends forgave us. We met up after, and another set of parents took us to Dairy Queen. We were honest about it.

Such a great flick. One of my favorite memories. And why Die Hard will always be one of my favorites.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

What kind of sadistic prick holds his company's office Christmas party at 6 p.m. on Christmas Eve? That should be a week before thing.
    Takagi deserved his bullet to the head for that nonsense.

expendable likes this.
  8. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

@YankeeFan would do it. It's just another 14-hour board shift for him anyway. :cool:

9. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Outside of Woody Paige and friends breaking down my North Carolina Central - Coppin State recap on Around The Horn, this may be the proudest moment of my Godforsaken career....

You know what? This IS ......

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

OscarMadison and Slacker like this.
  11. Slacker

Rickman was so good. The "Booby" scene. The scene when he kills Takagi. The scene when he's looking for his detonators, then quickly switches to the frightened "Bill." Rickman steals the show in every scene he's in.

Also, this one. Gives you the chills early on and shows that Rickman is a beautifully wicked villain.

garrow likes this.
  12. Slacker

And then ... and then ... and then, when Jeremy Irons shows up in the second sequel as Hans Gruber's aggrievieved and totally pissed-off brother, holy cow that was a perfect movie moment. Remember where you sat when you saw it? I do. :)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted