1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

July 13, 1995

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jake from State Farm, Jul 13, 2018.

1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

It was interesting with video games then, because the games would still have the players in their molds on attributes, but couldn't use their likeness or name, obviously. If I remember correctly they had Millar's character as a black guy with a white beard on one game I had.

2. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

The Red Wings won the Stanley Cup during the strike.
    They had a special event for season-ticket holders at Je Louis Arena
    They played a montage on the big screen of Detroiters' reactions to the victory
    When they got to Mitch, the crowd booed lustily
    I don't know how much of it was the strike and how much was readers had caught on to Albom's act
    I was there as the sports editor of the Detroit Sunday Journal, the weekly newspaper put out by the strikers
    I covered the Tigers, Lions and helped with the Wings during their Cup run
    I also laid out the paper
    It helped me keep my sanity

Liut likes this.
  3. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

What precipitated the strike? The switch to merit pay?

Is their a single, definitive article about the strike someone could recommend?

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I always think scabies sounds worse - potentially contagious.

5. Jake from State Farm

The switch to merit pay was the hook, but the real aim was to streamline the distribution
    The company kept telling us not to go out for a Tramster strike
    They got their reorganization but paid a steep price
    There’s a book on the strike: The Broken Table

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

So the Guild in Detroit funded a pension for its members?
    It provided a group plan of health coverage?
    The Guild I belonged to for a long, long time, paying a ton of dues, offered neither.
    It dropped you the moment you got laid off (or took a buyout) and no longer were paying dues.
    Always thought that was BS -- you need your union more than ever when you're between jobs, even more than when your unit is between contracts.
    All my friends and relatives in trade unions have membership and benefits that transcends any particular employer.

7. Jake from State Farm

Guild members agreed to set aside a portion of their salaries for their pension as negotiated in the contract.
    Retiree health insurance is a relatively new benefit
    When I qualify for Medicare I can convert my Guild plan to a supplement
    Gannett always tried to stick us with its for shit plan but our union officers always found a plan that covered more and was cheaper than the Gannett plan
    If Gannett could save $$$, they’d do it

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    Joe Williams likes this.
  8. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I have a friend who refused to cross the picket line and now he's still paying for it. Has had some major health problems and can't pay for medical coverage because he's basically surviving as a freelancer. He likely would have had one of the four big-league beats (I won't say which one) had he crossed.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

In theory I agree, but as said on The Athletic thread, loyalty does not buy milk or pay the mortgage. It’d be nice if it did.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  10. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

I don't remember if the Union helped Millar break his deal with Japan? (03ish)

11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

That game was MVP 2005 and it was and still remains the greatest baseball video game ever.

SnarkShark likes this.
  12. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Barry Bonds and Bill Belichick don't belong to their respective unions/associations and their names aren't used in video games.

Draft saved Draft deleted